• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What models/years came with painted grills?

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I just hit a deer and it smashed out my grill and headlight surround. I have a 96 white classic. What other models and years came with the painted grills? I know there were other models just kinda brain dead right now. :mad:
I did get off kinda easy though i guess. Just the broken grill, headlight surround, corner lense and a dented in fender and oh yea a 6 point for the freezer.

quadratec and ebay both carry healight surrounds all the time. ive seen grills on ebay too. They may not be painted, but thats an easy fix.

Don't know what year they started with body-color grilles on some models, but the lower models always had black or grey(ish) grilles that could be painted over.

In general, '84 thru '87 were 10-slot and '88 thru '96 were 8-slot. The two styles will interchange up until (I think) '91. When Chrysler got into the act, they revised the grille to make the upper trim across the front of the header part of the grille rather than a separate piece.

Therefore, to replace a body colored grille on a '96, you can buy any black grille fitting a '91 thru '96 XJ.

My 96 Country has the painted grill.

You'll have to look into a Country, Limited, Classic, or Briarwood for your application.

XJguy

Thanks all. Now i hope i can get some insurance money and buy some goodies.

Back