• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33" VS 35" Tires (Need Advice)

BobCSmith

NAXJA Forum User
I'm decided between 33" or 35" tires but need a few opinions:
The rear has a DANA 44, in the front a stock DANA 30 and we plan on re-gearing to 4.88.

Is the DANA 30 ok to run 35" tires on?

If with go with the 35" we are planning to have an 8" lift, is there any considerations going with a 35" tire as opposed to a 33"?

How much difference in highway driving between a 33' and 35"?
Would I see much difference in MPG (not a big condideration)?

If we go with the 33" tire, we were looking at a 6" lift with 4.56 re-gearing.

imho.....

yes the D30 can handle 35" tires, as long as your not right foor happy. also, i would suggest 760x u joints, and 1 piece shafts, if you don't have them already. 4:88's are pushing it, and you'll get arguements both ways. some say 4:88's are prone to breakage do to the smallish pinion size, tho from what i've heard, this once again depends on your driving style. same deal with 4:56's vs. 4:88's. could go either way, depending on how much highway driving u do. as for difference in economy, i ahve no idea, not there yet. but my plan, funds allowing, this winter, is to go to around 6-7" lift,8.8, 35's, and 4:56's. hth.

depending on which tires you get, they may not be true 35's! my bf muds are only 34's where as swampers i hear are true 35's

You don't need 8 inches of lift for either 33s or 35s. I run 35s with about 5.5 inches of lift and with 3.75 inches of back space on my rims, the 35s will rub the lower control arms at full lock. 33s don't. I've done some trimming to get the tires to clear (don't forget to flatten the shark fin in the front wells) but the combination works well on & off road. Of course I still need to do some tweeking, but that's what it's all about :)

I ran 36x12.50 TSL Radials on 4.5" of lift in the front. It rubs the sway bar at full lock but other than that the rubbing was minimal. When fully flexed tire ate fender but I could have fixed that by extending my bumpstops. 6" and 35s I consider Ideal for any terrain where you will be doing a lot of flexing.

Will I'm almost getting swayed toward 6".
What I'm hearing is 8" isn't really needed unless I just want the extra lift. Expect to trim awat on the fender and get a good amount of backspacing on the wheels.
What size tires are most running with 8" lift?
Besides the COG concerns...what would be the other negatives of going 8"?

Check out my rig under the "Rig of the Month" page. Mine's the one featured in September.

I have 8" of lift and 35's and it's built for hardcore rock crawlin'. If you expect alot of flex, you'll need to trim a whole bunch. I took nearly 3" out of the rear fender wells, and over 4" from the fronts. I trimmed the lower rear parts of the front fenders back to where the two Torx head bolts are. I cut out right between them leaving the one closest to the door in place. Then trimmed up at an angle to 3/4" below the first body line.

Anyway, you need to first evaluate what kind of 'wheeling you do. I don't recommend over 8" on a street driven XJ - just gets way too squirlly on the road (top heavy). Many of the guy's I've 'wheeled with that have 6" lifts seem to be able to take the obstacles a bit easier than mine does and I attribute that to my raised center of gravity. 6" seems to be perfect with 33" tires - and there is a little less trimming involved.

Now about the gears. I have a 5sp, H.O. with the Tera-Low kits in the t-case. I have 4:56 gears and feel these are perfect for the jeep when I have to drive on the highway. I can do 80 MPH in 5th gear with ease - but it scares the heck outta me. Since I primarily use the jeep for trails, I'm thinking of going to 4:88's to better benefit the 4 to 1 kit .

I have also heard the same concerns about the 4:88's in the D-30 and it really does depend on your driving style. Keeping the t-case gearing low will help save the gears. I wouldn't recommend the 4:88's if you're into running the mud and thrashing around - the spinning weight of 35's could snap those gears with mad gas pedal usage.

HTH!
Troy

Good subject here, with plenty of different opinions. I'll add my perspective. You do need to tell us what kind of wheeling you want to do, it makes a difference.

There is a little optimism with those who say they run 35's with 4.5" to 5.5" of lift. It can be done, and can be a very good way to go, but it will take A LOT of well thought out trimming. I run 35's with 8" of lift, I've trimmed quite a bit, and I still rub. How much you need to trim depends on how much flex you want to have......more flex means more trimming, less flex less trimming. There is no ideal condition here, it's what you want.

As far as gears, go with the 4.88's if you want to end up with 35's. I thought the 4.56's were good with 32's, with 33's I wished that I had 4.88's, so when I went to 35's I also went to 5.13 gears, which I think are perfect for my non-HO automatic. It's an old wives tale that 4.88's are weaker because of a smaller pinion.....Internet rumor with no basis in fact. The people who say it are repeating what they've heard or going by theory. Just as many people have broken 4.56's as have broken 4.88's, and few have broken either.

Regarding the D30 handling 35's, it can be done but it's going to cost you some coin. You'll need to, at minimum, run snap-ringed 760x axle joints, and stay out of the throttle. It is much preferable to run chromo axles, which have stronger splines and much stronger u-joint yokes. If the u-joint caps are snap-ringed or tack welded, the Spicer axle yokes will eventually fail by stretching and then breaking. The chromo axles won't stretch in the yokes, so the u-joint cross has to break to fail, which is less likely. You HAVE to snap ring them, or the c-clips will just pop off, the cap will walk out, and the cross will break. As an example, on a hardcore run we did last weekend with a dozen rigs, none of the guys with 35's and chromo axles had any breakage, on either D30's or D44's (both have the same axle joint), but there were six broken front axles on D30's with Spicer axles......all had snap ringed or welded caps, and all had 33's, and no one broke because of throttle.

As far as needing 35's, you don't. You will probably have more fun wheeling with 33's than with 35's because you'll break less. It makes little difference in trail performance, and virtually no difference in climbing ability. You can do some things easier with the 35's, but there is very little that you can do with 35's that you can't also do with 33's. I've been running hard trails with my XJ for 8 years, and I just went to 35's last year. In our group of rigs that regularly run some of the hardest trails around, many are still running 33's. Reliability is definitely an issue when you go to 35's, unless you do it mostly to be cool and stick to moderate trails. 35's are hard on steering as well as on the drivetrain, so you need to consider everything that will need to be upgraded.

Personally, I'd recommend going to the 33's. While you are wearing them out and gaining experience you can be adding upgrades to your rig, then when you need another set of tires go to the 35's. I can barely get a set of tires to last two years, so it's not that long a time. If you know you'll go to 35's eventually, go with the 4.88 gears....you'll never regret it.

Goatman said:
Good subject here, with plenty of different opinions. I'll add my perspective. You do need to tell us what kind of wheeling you want to do, it makes a difference.

There is a little optimism with those who say they run 35's with 4.5" to 5.5" of lift. It can be done, and can be a very good way to go, but it will take A LOT of well thought out trimming. I run 35's with 8" of lift, I've trimmed quite a bit, and I still rub. How much you need to trim depends on how much flex you want to have......more flex means more trimming, less flex less trimming. There is no ideal condition here, it's what you want.

As far as gears, go with the 4.88's if you want to end up with 35's. I thought the 4.56's were good with 32's, with 33's I wished that I had 4.88's, so when I went to 35's I also went to 5.13 gears, which I think are perfect for my non-HO automatic. It's an old wives tale that 4.88's are weaker because of a smaller pinion.....Internet rumor with no basis in fact. The people who say it are repeating what they've heard or going by theory. Just as many people have broken 4.56's as have broken 4.88's, and few have broken either.

Regarding the D30 handling 35's, it can be done but it's going to cost you some coin. You'll need to, at minimum, run snap-ringed 760x axle joints, and stay out of the throttle. It is much preferable to run chromo axles, which have stronger splines and much stronger u-joint yokes. If the u-joint caps are snap-ringed or tack welded, the Spicer axle yokes will eventually fail by stretching and then breaking. The chromo axles won't stretch in the yokes, so the u-joint cross has to break to fail, which is less likely. You HAVE to snap ring them, or the c-clips will just pop off, the cap will walk out, and the cross will break. As an example, on a hardcore run we did last weekend with a dozen rigs, none of the guys with 35's and chromo axles had any breakage, on either D30's or D44's (both have the same axle joint), but there were six broken front axles on D30's with Spicer axles......all had snap ringed or welded caps, and all had 33's, and no one broke because of throttle.

As far as needing 35's, you don't. You will probably have more fun wheeling with 33's than with 35's because you'll break less. It makes little difference in trail performance, and virtually no difference in climbing ability. You can do some things easier with the 35's, but there is very little that you can do with 35's that you can't also do with 33's. I've been running hard trails with my XJ for 8 years, and I just went to 35's last year. In our group of rigs that regularly run some of the hardest trails around, many are still running 33's. Reliability is definitely an issue when you go to 35's, unless you do it mostly to be cool and stick to moderate trails. 35's are hard on steering as well as on the drivetrain, so you need to consider everything that will need to be upgraded.

Personally, I'd recommend going to the 33's. While you are wearing them out and gaining experience you can be adding upgrades to your rig, then when you need another set of tires go to the 35's. I can barely get a set of tires to last two years, so it's not that long a time. If you know you'll go to 35's eventually, go with the 4.88 gears....you'll never regret it.

Richard-
PM'd you...

MistWolf said:
You don't need 8 inches of lift for either 33s or 35s. I run 35s with about 5.5 inches of lift and with 3.75 inches of back space on my rims, the 35s will rub the lower control arms at full lock. 33s don't. I've done some trimming to get the tires to clear (don't forget to flatten the shark fin in the front wells) but the combination works well on & off road. Of course I still need to do some tweeking, but that's what it's all about :)

Hey, do you have any pictures of this setup....I'm about to do the same thing.

I couldn't make up my mind between 33's and 35's. I've run 33's for the past year and like someone else said....the trail benefits aren't THAT great if you go to 35's.

The deciding factor for me was which size tire I could find used for a good price.....and I just came across a set of 35" BFGs :D

later.
Brian

I would encourage you to stick with 33s. The jump in cost from 33 to 35 inch tires is HUGE, and I don't mean the rubber, I mean the drivetrain. An XJ locked on 33s will go 95% of anywhere, while on 35s you'll go 97% of anywhere. That 2% is VERY costly.

The D30 can be made to live with 35s, but it'll cost ya, I really think it's cheaper to just get a Waggy D44 or narrow a HP Ford D44.

33s
760x joints up front
D44 rear
4.56s
lockers (selectable if you got the money)
skid plates, rock rails, diff guards, beefy steering, and tow points

You can fit any size tire you want on an XJ it just depents on how you wheel or how ugly you want you rig to be. I have ZJ 5.5" coils and 3" of spacers, wheel wells cut out alot and the tires still rub on full compression. Why stop your ride from articulating with the use of bumpstops? I thought a lift kit was to increase articulation, not to raise the CG and limit the flex. :confused:

STICK-ROY said:
You can fit any size tire you want on an XJ it just depents on how you wheel or how ugly you want you rig to be. I have ZJ 5.5" coils and 3" of spacers, wheel wells cut out alot and the tires still rub on full compression. Why stop your ride from articulating with the use of bumpstops? I thought a lift kit was to increase articulation, not to raise the CG and limit the flex. :confused:

Though I don't completely disagree, part of the purpose of the lift is to fit larger tires to increase ground clearance.

Back