• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO TB on renix question

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I finally got the stroker in on my '89 and am trying to get it all ready to go. I am using a HO intake manifold and TB. The IAS sensor just plugs in to my harness so I am asuiming I can just use it. I don't really want to have to take apart the two TPS's and combine them because it makes having a spare difficult. Is there any reason why I cant use an unmoded HO TPS and just rewire my harness to accept it. Do they give the computer the same input or are they different?

Both the non-HO TPS and the HO TPS accept a three-wire connector from the wiring harness, though the connectors may be different so you may not be able to plug your non-HO connector into the HO TPS.
You could get the HO connector with short lengths of the three wires attached, cut the non-HO connector off the wiring harness, and connect the three wires from the HO connector onto your existing wiring harness. Just make sure that they're in the right order.
The three wires from the TPS connector are the 5v input signal from the PCM (driver's side), the TPS output voltage to the PCM (middle), and the ground (passenger side).

When I did mine I was going to try the same thing. When I hooked up an ohm meter the reading was different (I believe opposite too) from the non HO TB. I just adapted the sensor.

If you try it and it works, let me know.

Lincoln

Lincoln, Is it possible when you tested the sensor you may have checked it backwards somehow and came up with the odd readings?? I am contemplating doing the HO TB swap also and I am really curious if you can just splice, I trust that you did it right, But I also know what happens when you are in a rush and want to get something to work!!!!

CW. Keep us posted and let us know how it goes:D

It is very possible. I just thought I would mention what I remember so someone would check or correct me. :)

If it does work I could go back to the HO TPS. My adapter didn't turn out quite the way I would have liked it, but I've been to lazy to change it. It's been on there for two years.

Lincoln

LOL, I have done some damn stupid things when I was in a hurry getting my 383cid th400 setup going in my CJ7 (RIP) and the fact that you said it was an oposite reading reminded me of how I timed my ignition and insisted I did it right and it took me 2 hours before I broke down and looked up the correct timing order in the book (exactly opposite what I set it up as) :rolleyes:

I am assuming then that the connector for the AW4 on the 4wd models still maintain the same connector regardless of HO vs Renix style TPS??:confused:

Nope, maybe that was it. In the HO's the auto is controled by the main computer, not a seperate one. The HO's only have one set of wires coming out.

Don't make me think any more. :)

I tested them and got very similar readings, so I will try it when I get back from thanksgiving vacation. Now I have a new problem, The location of the throttle linkage is different on the HO manifold and I broke my linkage trying to make it bolt up. :rolleyes: So I guess I will replace it with an HO linkage bracket. The power steering pump is an intersesting fit too. This engine is a parts counter nightmare.

I used the HO linkage and bought the longer throttle and kickdown cables. Worked well.

Can't remember the PS pump. Used my old.

see i did that, and i lost the ability to have my tranny kick down

i cut off the renix tps and used the HO one, it does work.. just dosent kick down... which is bad.

i think im gonna put the renix tps on, i just have no idea how im gonna go about it.

wish someone would of taken pictures of how they did it

as now i need to do it, and rather then just guess my way through it......

Last edited:
xjmjnick said:

i cut off the renix tps and used the HO one, it does work.. just dosent kick down... which is bad.

i think im gonna put the renix tps on, i just have no idea how im gonna go about it.

Joe Attardo's Renix TPS on HO throttle body article

I have a five speed so I'm not worried. I ended up soldering in that section of the HO harness, I still haven't got the engine going yet, still need a few junkyard parts that I can't find. Plus 2* weather is tough to work in.

xjmjnick said:

This is from my Chilton's Manual " A dual TPS is used on models equiped with automatic transmission. This dual TPS not only provides the ECU withinput voltages, but also supplies the automatic transmission TCU with an input of throttle position." Because the HO doesn't use a dual TPS, if you have a auto you must adapt the RENIX unit, but if you have a manual you can use the HO one.

Back