• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats your opinion?

Speed_racer

NAXJA Forum User
I have the stock D30 / D35 combo in my XJ, its an auto with .373 gears, I have 6" lift and 32" tires.

Im getting ready to trim out and go to 35" tires, I understand the need for lower gears (4.56 or 4.88) and theyre soon on the way, but I was just wondering how long do you think those axles could hold up.

I dont do many rocks, and in the mud Im about crawling, not lightin' them up, So Im rather easy on the skinny pedal.

I plan on putting in a SUPER 35 kit / locker combo in about 4 months but Im going to upgrade the tires now, due to necessity (32's about bald) So what do you guys suggest I do? Will the axles hold up?

don't waste any money on your dana 35.

doing so would be polishing the turd big-time.

look for a dana 44, either a real live xj 44, or suitable donor.

Your 30 should be fine. On the 35, though.... before you put the $$ into it for the super 35 kit, think about a swap. For the same or less money, you could put in a 8.8, 8.25, or D44. With the super 35, you still have a weak housing, as well.

firegod33 said:
For the same or less money, you could put in a 8.8, 8.25, or D44. With the super 35, you still have a weak housing, as well.

Exactly. The Super35 is a total waste of $$$ IMHO because a D44 or 8.8" is the same price, if not cheaper. I'd probably even run a late model 8.25" over a Super35.

yep, as stated above.

I'm looking to replace my wifes 8.25 with a 8.8 for the fact that I want her to have 4.10 gears (I'll regear the front), which are available in some stock Exploders, and this will also upgrade her to rear disc brakes, and in some 8.8's they also came stock with limited slips, which with her XJ being mainly a dd, this will be a real slick set up, you can buy 8.8's for the $450ish mark. For this money and all the upgrades it's a real good value.

"Super" 35 kit=$900
Labor for installation=$300-ish
"Super" truss kit=$250-$300

Soooo.......
$900+
$300+
$275(average)=
$1475

You could probably buy a brand new Currie 9" (with drums) for that. Save your money and go with something that's worth spending it on:D You'll never hear anyone say "I should've just spent the money on the 35....". On the other hand,you'll hear plenty of people that *will* say "I could kick my own ass for dumping that much money in my 35!" You can buy an 8.25" for as little as $75 for a 27 spline version,which by housing strength alone is probably twice the strength of a 35. Hold out for a later 29 spline model if you want it stronger than that.

if you're easy on the pedal the axles will hold up I know of at least 4 guys running 35s on stock axles and they haven't broken anything yet. But if you got the cash upgrade to a dana60 found one for 400$ up here in washington :)

Back