• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rockrail Mounting?

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I finally finished building my rails, Know my question is: What is the best way to fasten them to the subframe? Each leg has 4 holes for fastening and i already have the pinch seam mounting figured out. I guess my question is this: Weld , Thru bolt, or ?
Thanx Digger

Most drill a hole in the frame and use a self tapping bolt. This works fine.

I drilled and tapped my holes in the frame with fine threads. probably a slightly better solution.

Through bolting would probably be the ultimate.

Keep in mind that there is very little stress on this portion of the mount (no significant force away from the frame, at least under most situations).

Michael

I mounted mine to the subframe with self tappers, I also welded on fins even with the pinch weld and mounted them there also this made them very strong. You could stand on them, or use them for a jacking point.

Most people seem to like the self-tappers solution and I can see the benefit. If you were to sell the truck, you could remove the rails.

However, and since I do not plan to sell my old Indian, is there any technical way why one should not weld them on the frame rails? Obviously using an argon machine or something similar, not just a plain welder.

Rgds

I have used inserts in the past for other rock rails also, and they have work well also.

Personally I think it is ok to weld on the frame as long as you are comfortable with the task. However, I think that it is always better to have the ability to remove them.

How often do you think that you will never have to remove something and yet, we always end up haveing to!!

Michael

I'm not a fan of welding to the "frame". It takes more effort, affects the tempering of the surounding metal, and makes it much more difficult to remove a damaged rail. Bolts do just fine.

Re: welding

dmillion said:
If you're comfortable with welding on sheet metal and not worried about the possibility of blowing through and damaging the unibody, then go for it.

Bwaaahaha...

So if you cant weld....

Dont. :D

Weld it.. or bolt and weld it..Welds can always be cut...
your not asking the easiest way, your asking the best way, so weld it..

My uniframe is sleaved with 1/8in walled box tube "Welded and plug welded to the uniframe", then my sliders have four 2x2in 1/4in walled legs that are weld to larger plates 3X4in that are welded to the sleaved frame. My rear leag ties into the rear leaf mount, the front leg ties into my front leaf mount. My cage will tie into it so its critical to be a stong building base.

I dont have pics of it yet..

firegod33 said:
I'm not a fan of welding to the "frame". It takes more effort, affects the tempering of the surounding metal, and makes it much more difficult to remove a damaged rail. Bolts do just fine.

What the heck are you building your rails out of if they are getting damaged??

My rails haven't been damaged. However, if they get used (and some people use them a lot), eventually they will need to be replaced. Nothing lasts forever.
I've given reasons not to weld. Can someone give reasons to weld?
Keep in mind that a well designed piece will not have a mounting system stronger than the base it's mounted to.

bolt them

mine were bolted for several years, used them as jack points, landed the entire weight of the Jeep on them many, many times with out failure. When I went to build a new Jeep it took me moments to remove them. My rails out lasted my Jeep, bolts are just fine, my rockers rotted before my rails ever showed any major wear. Now with my new Jeep, I'm replacing my rockers with tubing to act as my rails, and I had my rails left over to sell

I AM BUILDING MY RAILS NOW. I HAVE BOLTED THE MOUNTING BRACES THROUGH THE FRAME. IM THINKING OF WELDING THE PINCH WELD TO THE RAIL EVERY COUPLE OF INCHES. ANY THOUGHTS ON THAT????

Back