• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help, Bad Vibration at 55 mph...?

Jeepnmon

NAXJA Forum User
Hello.
I have an 88 Cherokee Laredo that has a vibration from about 35 mph on up.
Gets worse at about 55-65 mph. The whole Jeep shakes. I've replaced the
steering stabilizer, front U-Joints, and front lower control arm bushings in
an effort to solve this problem. I also had the alignment checked and the
tires balanced. The vibration is still there. It's the type of vibration
that seems like a classic tire balance issue, but I've already tried that
and it was fine. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I
don't know what to check next. Please feel free to share your ideas and
thoughts on how to solve this problem. Thanks.

Regards,

--
Gary B.
P.S. There's no lift on it as of yet :)

A shake in the front that shows up between 50 and 55 MPH and goes away above 65 MPH is tire balance.

Period.

Doesn't matter how many times the "tech" with the machine tells you they're fine -- if it shows up at 55 and goes away at 65 the cause is tire balance.

Couldn't this also be caused by a worn out trackbar joint? As many people as I have heard about having this exact same problem, I can't believe it can only be due to an out of balance tire. I may be wrong, but this seems like a very common problem for older Cherokees. From what I have seen, there can be many things that contribute to this "death wobble".:dunno:

Your original post said "vibration" -- it didn't say anything about death wobble. Nonetheless, I drove around for 6 months with a worn-out track bar. The steering was, shall we say, "imprecise" ... but I had no shimmy, and definitely no death wobble.

you're on the right track for your process of elimination.. i'm leaning toward a wheel issue as well... have you swapped/rotated them front-to-back ?? is this something that came on relatively quickly, or been around a while and your tired of it?? an "out of round" tire can still be balanced on a machine but will still bounce on the road at speed.. are you sure its in the front end? have a friend drive along side you on the highway and watch your wheels..
how much of it comes thru the steering wheel? all or very little?
how much thru the brake pedal when you press it?
mike

I've had the Cherokee since July '03. This vibration/wobble has been there since. I looked at the original tires/wheels (XJ Wagon Type)and noticed that the left rear tire had a flat spot on it and the front left wheel had a chip out of the Aluminum rim. So, I took the 30" Wrangler GSA's (about 25,000 miles on 'em) already mounted on my TJ Gambler rims sitting in my garage and put them on the Cherokee in an effort to eliminate a wheel/tire problem. These Gambler rims/tires came off of my TJ in April '03 when I put new Rockcrawler rims and 33" GY MT/R's on my TJ.
As far as it being in the front end, I can feel it through the steering wheel as well as the seat. My buddy, a Jeep mech, looked it over, checked the balance and alignment and said he's at a loss as to what the cause is. He said that tie rods are good as well as the trackbar. Now, we did replace the front U-joints because they were worn out badly thinking this might solve the problem, but it didn't. I also replaced the lower control arm bushings cause they were worn too. Still at a loss....

Gary

When my front wheel bearings went out for a while I had a vibration that was noticable at about 40 mph but got really bad at about 70 mph... You might check your wheel bearings.

Just a thought.

Back