• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

favorite tires

chassellbandit

NAXJA Forum User
what are your favorite tires for a DD/ trail rig? when i'm off road, i do sand, mud and rocks. and its gotta be decent in snow. anyhting y'all prefer over BFG mt's? either the 33 or 35" flavor....thoughts?

I do not think you can get a better DD/Trail tire than the BFG's. Pick the tread you like depending on where you drive.

Michael

My favorite? Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips....but dang they are $$.

oh yeah and they kick my dads BFG muds all over the place in any kind of terrrain.

I used to swear by BFG ATs (still got a set on my Dakota), but my new pick is the Super Swamper Trxus MTs. They're agressive looking, yet quiet and supposedly awesome on frozen pavement. This will be my first winter with them though, so I'm basing the ice performance on what I've heard (and I heard it from a LOT of people back when I was doing my tire research). The biggest thing I can attest to is that they seem to be even quieter than the 33" BFG ATs on my buddy's Bronco! :D Gotta love that! And the 33" variety is pretty darn cheap too! (though I got my set used) Mileage is supposed to be somewhere around 40K or so, but I'm willing to trade 10K for those awesome good looks alone! :D By that time I hope to be ready for 35s anyway. ;)
Jeep on!
--Pete

P.S. They work great in the sand!
34119073.jpg

report in a couple months!

I'd be very interested in hearing a report back in a month or two, after you've had a chance to try the Trxus tires in winter conditions. I used to run BFG MTs on my Jeep, but the ATs are so much better on the typical winter icy/slushy roads we have here in Denver (like Saturday night!) that I have been using them the last few years.

Oh don't worry, EVERYBODY will be hearing about my tires after the snow starts falling! :D I've got some high expectations (been happily running BFG ATs of various sizes for 6 years now) and I certainly hope the trxus live up to them. Run some searches in the archives and you should find all the comments that I read and used in my decision-making process. The single biggest complaint I found was that they just weren't aggressive enough for some owner's tastes. (But that comment seemed to be coming from guys and gals that aren't very concerned with on-road performance and see anything less than Boggers as *wussy* tires.) :D Oh, and the reason the guy was selling them was he got a great deal on some used 35" SSRs.
Jeep on!
--Pete

P.S. here's another gratuitous pic of my tires where you can see the siping:
27115630.jpg

I got to try my TruXus tires this last weekend in the snow and ice. They did great. We saw four fender benders in about 10 blocks, it was like bumper cars out there. I am yet to try them in the really deep stuff, but they do well on icy roads.

I've run BFG KM's, BFG KO's and TrXus in snow here in NH...TrXus by FAR.

GREAT tire and actually better than the previous king on snowy pavement (the BFG AT KO was the ruler...till the TrXus)

In snow off-road they do great as well they are great as well

I currentLy have SSR Swampers...we shall see how they do!

stuck.JPG

Last edited:
Goodyear MT/R's.

I run MT/R's and replaced my crappy ProComp MT's after 2K miles. Not a great comparison, but day and night difference in mud. I've also run them in snow, loose gravel, and sand and they rip right through. Expensive tires, though.

I have yet to see a MTR out perform a BFG MT. I have several friends who have switched from BFG MT's to the MTR and not one of them is inpressed with their performance. Most particularly on the narrower treads.

If the PJ Dirt grips get half the wear of the BFG I have difficulty comparing the to on a DD. That is like comparing my Retreads or Swampers. They might be great but not a wonderful DD tire.

Go BFG.

Michael

In my personal experience I had 35” BFG KM and they are a good tire but, I’m now running 35” MT/R and they are a great tire. “I’m personally impressed with their performance” they are quieter, work great on slick rock, and hold the snow in the tread better than my BFG.

IMHO I would go with the MT/R

Xman :cheers:

I've seen 3 BFG KM's with holes in sidewalls from rocks, in the past 3 months and I get a chance to wheel maybe once a month..(while at college) so pretty much every trip. I've yet to see a goodyear with a whole in sidewall. All in all I think they are pretty much equal though, they both are good tires either way you look at it. Granted some might be better here or they but all tires have their pluses or minuses

for what it's worth I'm running MT/R's I like their performance so far, and my friends run BFG, my guess is it just runs down to loyalty to brand in some situations.

Interesting...I run Cooper SST? mud terrains... they work pretty good on and off road... killer in mud...kinda noisy but thats ok:D

I'm still trying to decide if i want to try something different when they wear out...anybody here have any input on Swamper LTB's?
I'm thinking about some 13.5 x 33's.

I have been running a set of 33x10.50 BFG KO MT for well over a year now, I have no complaints. This is a trail only vehicle so it sees very little highway time. A lot better than the Mud Kings that I had before.

I don't have any personal experience with the LTBs, but I gotta imagine the bias-ply design won't lend itself to being a good daiy driver tire.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back