• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Trax No-SLip Questions

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I might pickup a power trax no slip to take care of my dilema in the rear end... it'd be a 2 year old unit and the price on it, would be pretty damn good.... is there anything that I have to potentially replace/service on it? Someone told me that the springs go bad with time.....
Right now I'm trying to decide between that and a brand new trac loc that someone has... and I think that noslip sounsd like a better way to go (btw, it's the one specifically made for the trac loc carrier)

Kejtar

I love my No Slip so far...of course it gives off the occasional pop, but most of the time i don't even notice it.

I just installed my No Slip and love it. After it worked itself in, about a week, I don't even notice it back there. I don't think you could go wrong with it. I talked about the unit with Dirk at DPG and he said he had over 50K miles on one and it still works great.

I bought a slightly-used one for my Dana 44. Just get a new spring kit for about $15 and you're all set.
I like my No-Slip so far. It's almost invisible on the street.

BTW Remi, with 4:10s in there, you WILL need to pull the carrier and take off the ring gear. You can grind a few teeth to get the cross shaft past, but I can't tell you about that. I just pulled the carrier and installed the No-Slip on the bench when I did the 8.25. I needed to pull it anyway, as the Trackloc parts are a little tough to remove while the carrier's in the pumpkin.

BillR said:
BTW Remi, with 4:10s in there, you WILL need to pull the carrier and take off the ring gear. You can grind a few teeth to get the cross shaft past, but I can't tell you about that.B]

If I do pull it out... will I have to resetup the gears?? I know only how to change oil in my diffs...... :( and the instructions say that it's supposed to be really easy to put it in (yeah... right) :D

You don't have to re-setup the gears, just put all the shims back exactly where they were and torque everything down properly when you're done.

Hey Kejtar,

Let me know if you want some help. I've never done one, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Seriously though, I've been considering the No-slip too. and I'd like to be able to see one installed, so I'll know what I'm doing when I do mine.

I AM mechanically inclined, so I'm sure we could get it done. Just make sure you have the instruction sheet.

xjohnnyc said:
Hey Kejtar,

Let me know if you want some help. I've never done one, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Seriously though, I've been considering the No-slip too. and I'd like to be able to see one installed, so I'll know what I'm doing when I do mine.

I AM mechanically inclined, so I'm sure we could get it done. Just make sure you have the instruction sheet.

I'll let you know.... a lot might actually happen this coming 4 day weekend: new arms, new (old) springs... new trackbar..... and amongst all that preparation for a thanksgiving dinner... planning what to buy the next day during the ridiculous sales that they ussually have.....

I've also got 4.10's. I didn't have to pull the carrier to install the locker. I think I filed one of the teeth of the ring gear a little to get the cross pin in place. I can't remeber exactly, it's been a couple of years. (about 45,000 to 50,000 miles ago). Follow the instructions and you shouldn't have any trouble. I've installed 4 lunch box lockers and haven't had any trouble with any of them.

RR3

Btw.... how's the noise on this one?? I really don't care if it;s too noisy or not... but if I can avoid it ahead of time I'd like to :D I have read some posts where they talked about using a thicker oil to avoid the noise and some talked about using thinner... I was planning to refill it with 75-140 Valvoline synth blend.

xj92 said:
You don't have to re-setup the gears, just put all the shims back exactly where they were and torque everything down properly when you're done.
There's no side shims on the 8.25 axle. It uses the side adjusters that you need a spanner wrench to adjust. They're very similar to a 9", but you have to adjust them through the axle tube.
I would TRY to leave the carrier in there, and file a few of the teeth if you have to.

Kejtar said:
Btw.... how's the noise on this one?? I really don't care if it;s too noisy or not... but if I can avoid it ahead of time I'd like to :D I have read some posts where they talked about using a thicker oil to avoid the noise and some talked about using thinner... I was planning to refill it with 75-140 Valvoline synth blend.

Mine doesn't make any noise at all. You can hear it unload from time to time with a bit of a "thunk", but once you get used to driving with it, you'll be able to minmize that (gas pedal control/awareness....I do enjoy those straight line accelerations with a locker - reminds me of the old days with our built -up 350HP '69 Cutlass...zowey!).

The first few hours of operation there was a little heat generated - I could smell the gear oil (used synthetic). After the first week it became as smooth as can be. You really don't know it's there until you forget yourself and get reminded.

If you pull the carrier and remove the ring gear on the 8.25" how do you put the c-clip on the driverside axle once you have it back in the diff?

My No-slip is much quieter than my Aussie.

Any tips/tricks on the install??

Use heavy wheel bearing grease when you set you springs up, just like the instructions say. The instructions are very good, they will make more sense when you have the cover off and are doing the install. It took 2 hours from putting my rig into the air and then putting it back down.

Spooky said:
If you pull the carrier and remove the ring gear on the 8.25" how do you put the c-clip on the driverside axle once you have it back in the diff?

My No-slip is much quieter than my Aussie.
I remember pulling the carrier, but I think it was more to remove the guts of the Trackloc now that I think about it.
You are correct, though.:anon:

Cool... I just ordered them little springs.... they are coming from Randy's R&P and PowerTrax faxed me the install manual. Does anyone know what is the thickness of that check block? as that's the only thing that I will not have :( If it makes any difference I am looking for the checkblock from a 8.25 trac loc 29 spline install.

zKardang008.jpg

Here's mine. I had no trouble with the cross pin, but I had a non-c-clip or tracklock (D35) carrier.

I was a little worried after hearing so much ugly stuff about Detroits and Lockrights, but this thing is really awesome, totally smooth, no sounds, no jerks... only side-effects are the one-wheel-drive during turns, and the slop you get when going off the throttle at speed. And one more thing... don't try different wheel sizes back there, carry a full-size spare, or swap in a front wheel if you have to change one at the back.

I have to say I love my no-slip as well... appreciating it more and more both on and off road.

Amund2 said:
only side-effects are the one-wheel-drive during turns, and the slop you get when going off the throttle at speed.

Only one-wheel drive until you give it a lil gas though!

I agree, lots of driveline slop!

Whoa ther Kejtar!!!

You have an 8.25 and when we talked it did not occur to me to tell you, but you have a crush sleeve and adjustable carreier bearings!. You have to have a special tool for the bearing and a good torque wrench for the sleeve. Plus, you cant reuse the sleeves!

Calle me maybe I can gran the service manual for your year and fax you the setup instructions.

Rabbit

Back