• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabrication Corner Question

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Awhile ago I think someone posted a link to a company who sells a very heavy duty hinge/pivot that is suitable for making up an external spare tire carrier for rear bumper mounting. Does anyone know the link I vaguely recall? Can someone steer me to this goodie?

That's the one. Thank you.

I was thinking of using a D44 spindle/bearings from the junk.......take an old worn rotor and trim the braking surface of to a smooth finish, and you'd have a stout set up.

It's a trailer axle with a piece of tubing holding the bearings in place. You can get them at trailer shops for less than RockStomper's price.

Tubing Diameters

Hey lincoln I agree that their price is a little expensive considering the materials. The problem that I am running in to is selecting the proper tube sizes for the shell. On the Northern Tools web site it said that the outside diameter of the 1" bearings is actually 1.9 inches. Northern Tools

So what size of tube would a guy with out access to a lathe be looking for? The inside plug to go between the two bearing races would need to be 1.9" O.D. with ? for the wall thickness. Is there a schedule 40 pipe that is close to this OD? The next challenge would be the bearing shell having an ID of 1.9 inches. Any Help with this? I might just end up having to buy the hinge from Rock Stomper.

Actually I believe the full demension is 1.98" O.D. on the bearings. I did a few google's to make sure. I wouldn't use pipe because the I.D. isn't consistant but you could use some 2.25" .120 wall HREW (will probably have to file the seam some) would work then get some 2" O.D. tube for the center part.

You can verify the bearing size by visiting a boat store or small trailer place. Most small boat trailers, motorcycle trailers, and jet ski trailers all use those bearing. People don't ever pack them so they have to replace the whole bearing set occasionally.

Good luck,
Lincoln

Thanks for the reply Lincoln. I guess that I'll have to order a set of bearings and then break out the dial caliper and measure the outside diameter of the race. When I get to that point I'll post my findings and let everyone know.

Thanks again

Back