• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 Tahoe no start sorta

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
My sister's 95 Tahoe's fuel pump died on the way home from Moab and she had a dealer install a new one.

A week later the altenator fried and she had it replaced.

The battery kept dying so she finally called me to take a look for a drain. Well I got there and it wouldn't crank, the battery had 12.15vdc and the lights wouldn't dim when she turned the key.

I pulled the starter and checked the solenoid posts and the cooper disc, they were burnt and since she has 97K on the vehicle we decided to replace the whole starter motor. Piss poor decision as it still wouldn't start.

Found a bad terminal on the wire from the ign switch (trigger?) at the solenoid replaced that. Tested with a Fluke meter and test light still no current at the trigger wire.

Snooped around and found that there was a starter relay in the fuse center under the hood by the master cylinder. Tested the solenoid and it was good. Also using a jumper wire cranked the starter/engine but it wouldn't fire and turn over. There was no current coming to the relay from the ign switch.

Well it's been a long time since I worked for GM but crawled under the dash and removed the lower dash panels. The ign switch isn't on the top of the column. In removing the lower panel noticed the hack job camping world did installing her trailer barke controller. Followed those wires and found this "black box" under the carpet with one connector loose. It seems there is an after market alarm system with an automatic door lock feature.

Well it was late & cold and the bride was looking for me to get home so I left and will finish tomorrow. However my sister called me and told me that the alarm had a starter interlock system that hadn't worked for two years but after I left she clicked the button and waa lah the engine started.

So after the above rambling....sounds like i should pull this alarm system off or what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Back