• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amplifier Question

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing the Sony XPlode 5 1/4" speakers to replace all 4 speakers in my 95 XJ sport. They have 160 Watts peak power and my head unit is a Blaupunkt with 160 total watt output. Can anyone recommend a decent amplifier, and should I use one or two? Also, where does one normally mount the amp(s) in their Jeep without putting it in the way of passengers/cargo in the back? Thanks for your help!!
Matt

I have a 420 watt eclipse amp (it is fairly large ), and it fits (just barely) under the rear seat. One amp should be more than enough to power the speakers you mentioned. I have 4 5-1/2" and two 12's run by my one amp. It is way more sound than I need in the little cab of my XJ. There are way to many brands of amps to recomend. Just stay with a good name brand (Sony,Eclipse,Alpine). Somebody will chime in telling you Sony sucks or Eclipse sucks etc... but if you are looking for decent sound and not looking to set any sound pressure records any of the big names will work just fine.

you don't need a stinkin amp. Peak power is just that Peak. The most they can take. You want to look for the RMS power for the speakers. Thats what they should run off all the time. Just run them off the deck, they will be fine. Amps are for subs.

This is a two part, "it depends on what you use your XJ for" and "how well do you want the music to sound", type of question.
To me it sounds like you want the sound to be good but not competition like. It also sounds like you use it as a daily driver with some, but not too gnarly trail use.

From what I've deduced, I would suggest a 4-channel amp. Lanzar makes a great non-competition amp, here's a link to where you can get it for pretty cheap. http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=lanvibe428&svbname=16
If you've got the money you could opt for the Pheonix Gold Ti500.4, that's what I'll be running my components with.

For amp mounting, the rear DRIVER SIDE seat would be OK in your case, remember that the exhaust runs under the passenger side, so mount the amp on the driver side. If you plan to run the speakers pretty hard and long, it's NOT a good idea to mount it under the rear seat. Let the amp have some breathing room. They tend to get hot pretty quick when they're run hard.

I had a Lanzaar once. It was the first year they came out and had a lifetime warranty. It was the opti 50 (50 watts) and I used it to push 2 12's. Lanzaar is now owned by Pyrmid. When you buy stereo equipment you get what you pay for. You will save in the long run if you buy something tha you know will last. Also what your vehicle is used for should make a difference where to mount it. My friend mounted his under his seat and when we got stuck in a water hole it fried the amp. Don't know if this help but I hope so. Good luck Doug

Lanzaar/ Pyrmid=crap.

Distorition will kill your speakers so fast.

You don't need a amp. I'm running 5.25 Kickers off my Clarion deck and they sound fine for everyday use.

I'm running Sony Xplod 5.25"/6x9 off of my Aiwa CDC-317 (I think) head unit and I get rather good sound. I've tinkered with the idea of adding an amplifier, but I'm not really certain it's necessary. Given that most of the problems I'm having with my sound come from loose bodywork, an amp would only make that worse for the moment.

It is worth noting, however, that I do intend to install an amp eventually. I'd like to get a couple subs for low-end fill-in (like when I put Rammstein in) and you just can't drive a sub properly without an amplifier AND a crossover box (basically a low-end bandpass filter, really.) Of course, I've got to finish designing the mount that I want to use to keep everything out of the way, since my XJ is a hard-working truck.

Take some time to examine the sound you're getting before you commit to an amplifier. If you decide to add once, here are a couple hints...

1) Buy from Crutchfield. Their support is first-rate, and I've always been happy with their pricing. If you are going to DIY the install, BUY CRUTCHFIELD.

2) Planning - since you already have your speakers, plan accordinly when you buy your amplifier. You should never match your amplifier to your speaker's power handling rating - the amp should peak at 15-20% LESS than the peak figure on the speaker. You don't want to "hit the roof" with your amp/speaker setup, or you could end up going through speakers like popcorn.

3) Why are you planning on an amplifier? Chances are, you don't need to amplify the entire spectrum, you might just be looking for fill-in on a portion of it. Are you looking for more high end/low end/midrange/what? This is probably the most important question to ask yourself.

4) Wiring. Plan on using power feed wiring at least a size larger than specified (audio engineers seem to be a fairly conservative lot, and you won't hurt anything with a little overkill.) Also, think about where you want to run your wiring. On my Renix XJ's, the main FB harness runs through the driver's side doorsill, so I'd run amp signal wiring down the pax side. The power (DC) can go down either side, but turn signals/hazzards and other intermittent DC signals have caused "line clicks" on installations I've cleaned up for other people before...

5) Again, why are you thinking "amplifier?" I'm not trying to dissuade you, I just want to keep you from solving the wrong problem.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have any specific questions, and I'll give you what help I can. I've been playing with stuff like this for a while now, and some of it starts to stick...

5-90

Back