• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best place to mount a hi-lift?

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering where the best would be for hi-lift storage, I have a 91 XJ. Seems like there is lots of places but I wanted some opinions or even some pictures of where you guys put them.

Thanks!:D

i mounted mine right on my front bumper. it was a mixed blessing cause i bent it running into a big rock, but it saved me some expensive body damage. they are pretty stout though and it still works fine only with a little lean at the top.

I used the Hi-Lift Lock/Mount kit and modified it to mount on my factory roof rack. Pretty simple, keeps the jack out of the way, secure with the lock and easy to remove.
Pictures would be nice, but alas.....I have none of this mod.

I keep mine under the rear seat. Flatten the driveshaft tunnel a little, and weld in two 1"x1" box tubes with 1/2" nuts. Remove the foot and add a quick release pin. 1/2"x1" bolts hold it down.
You don't lose any room in the rig and it's out of the weather. Sorry, no pics.

I mounted mine to the back of the rear seat. It has worked out well for me. I would like to make a temporary mount on a bumper, just so I can get to it easier. As long as you don't have a 60" hi-lift the back seat works
cargo.JPG

I mounted mine on the front bumper, made a hoop to run over the top of the winch. This was the best place I could find when you rockcrawl, on a rack you can wedge it against a rock when you really need it, inside is good if you have the room, the rear bumper isn't real safe in the rocks.

I keep it in back I am thinking about making a bumper mount for it when I lift it and get new tires. But right now I end up high centered with my ass in the air a lot so having the highlift on the front bumper under a foot of mud would suck :)

I keep mine in the back cargo area between my two big junk boxes, along with a 3' prybar and a couple of spare shafts...I don't have a back seat in the way though.

IIRC Goatman made mounts on the front bumper beside the winch that mounts it horizontally at or just above the front hood level. 1.5" square tube pedestals and some flat stock IIRC

MarkWNC (and others) have theirs mounted behind the spare on the swing-out carrier.

I've seen folks mount a 48" inside the driver-side rear cargo using the mount for the OEM spare tire....kinda angles forward, and might be in the 'headache' zone for a rear seat passenger.

Of course there is always the roofrack (if ya have one) and Hi Lift makes a spiffy lockable plastic case for them... I forget who had one of these I've seen...A Mechanic? Motorman? 2Offroad???

My last choice would be on the leading or trailing face of the bumpers...seems like they'd get maulled by rocks, and possibly wedged in a bind, and of course that would be when ya needed it the worst :)

Wherever ya put it, do some homework in anchoring it down...it's too big & unfreindly to trust with generic bungee cords (at least use 550 cord & duct tape)

Here is what I did with mine.....

It's a 60" jack so inside was not an option for me. I put the base towards the front to counter the weight of my 33" spare on top. HTH.
786336Highliftmounted.JPG

Caveat: I have a 2 door.

I built a bracket using the spare tire mounts (like Woody was talkin' about.) The jack mounts parallel to the ground, about 4 inches away from the window. The mount is solid enough now the jack basically doesn't move. I did have to reinforce all of the mounting points since I built it 2 years ago. It's also not a headache problem for passengers.

Missouri....... I'd give serious thought to keeping it inside. Rain and the occasional snow will start it rusting. If you do keep it outside, you'll want to grease it pretty regularly.

I really would like to mount it inside, if I leave it on the bumper it will definitely have to be lubed all the time. I just have the stock bumpers cause I have not started to build on the XJ yet (just bought it for a grand!)

I'm pretty slow going on my buildups due to a tight budget but I have big plans for it. I am in a club here in Missouri and do a lot of wheelin. Thanks for all the input I'm sure I'll fine a good spot for it. :D

Re: ...

TB-XJ said:
I really would like to mount it inside, if I leave it on the bumper it will definitely have to be lubed all the time. I just have the stock bumpers cause I have not started to build on the XJ yet (just bought it for a grand!)

I'm pretty slow going on my buildups due to a tight budget but I have big plans for it. I am in a club here in Missouri and do a lot of wheelin. Thanks for all the input I'm sure I'll fine a good spot for it. :D

Welcome aboard!

I've found (as well as many others) that the 48" Hi-Lift will lay flat across the back just inside the rear hatch. Just point the tongue up and you're in business. You should find a way to strap it down so it doesn't fly around in the event of a huge bump or rollover. Don't know about you but I'd rather not go out by a loose object to the head.:eek:

wherever you can find a jack at a store, they prolly have these nifty little mounts for you to put on your stock bumper like i did. now, it rains a lot in washington and my jack never seized up too much. just spritzed it with some wd40 every now and then or you could not be a jeepass like me and buy the cover they make for it. thatll keep it nice and prestine, and save you the hastle of it being inside the cab

Just one thing to note about that vinyl cover thing that Hi-Lift sells... It rips very easy. Mine didn't last but a couple of months and just started tearing like paper.

JKTXJ said:
Just one thing to note about that vinyl cover thing that Hi-Lift sells... It rips very easy. Mine didn't last but a couple of months and just started tearing like paper.

They (or someone) sell(s) a hard plastic case that's shaped to fit the jack. I think I've seen it in Quadratec's catalog, or maybe it was Summit Racing.

Yeah, a hard case would be much nicer.. provided it kept the jack securely in place so it wouldn't rattle. Anyone have one of these???

I would like to see the hard case in person to see how well it would work.
Mine is out side on the roof. I used some small u-bolts to hold it in place with some wingnuts. It does not move. I locked it in place with a cable and lock. Its been up there 4 years now. I lub it with some wd40 about once a month and it has been fine. Has some surface rust but who cares it still works.

Back