• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FUEL CELLs for morons

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
okay, I know basically nothing about fuel systems; you put the gas in and it sends it to the engine, ocasionally you need to replace the fuel filter and/or pump, that's it, that's basically all I know.

So, I want to put a fuel cell in the bed of my MJ. Summit has what seems like a good deal on RCI alluminum cells, particularly the 16 gallon RCI-2161A model.
rci-2161a_m.jpg

So, what does it take to put one of these in an MJ ('88 renix 4.0)?

- It says it is for "street rodders", is there any reason it wouldn't work in an offroad application?

-It has a built in GM sender, will that adapt easily to my fuel lines and provide the right pressure and flow?

-Will I lose use of my gas guage (not that big a deal to me)?

-Is there anything else needed to run this unit?

-Anything else?

thanks,
brett

It has a GM "sender" -- for the gas gauge. That should work with your MJ gauge.

It does NOT have a fuel pump. The MJ fuel pump is located in the tank. You will need an external, aftermarket fuel pump capable of putting out the required pressure (approx 40 psi, depending on year).

Bob Salemi has just done this with an MJ he's setting up for drag racing. He sometimes posts on here as "Bob" -- see if you can find one of his posts, and drop him a PM. If he doesn't respond or you can't find him, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll ask him to contact you.

AUT_3466.JPG

AUT_3468.JPG

AUT_3471.JPG

fuel cells are no sweat.

just pick up a fuel cell in the size of your choice. If you care to keep the fuel gauge working, make sure the sending unit works with the same ohm set-up as the guage.

you can use an "e2000" fuel pump, available at autozone.com...these can be mouted externally, and will work well with the 4.0l

theres really nothing to it.

you might want to address fuel starvation problems with a holley pick up kit available at summit.

you can save a fortune by using 37deg JIC fittings, instead of AN fittings as well....fyi.
John

I have no idea what kind of fittings various cell manufacturers are using, but there isn't a SINGLE an- fitting or any other fancy fitting used in my system. its all basic npt and a few hosebarbs.

my cell has 1/2 npt female fittings, which worked EXCELLENTLY in being able to run the holley multi-point pickup without a bunch of screwing around.

YMMV

Sorry to do a bit of thread jacking, but... Beez youre rig is wicked hot, I cant get over it.

The Holley kit provides 2 pick up locations with check valves in them. At least one of the pick ups should always be submerged and provide fuel, while the check valves insure no air gets into the line if not submerged.

I believe the RCI cells use -8 fittings which requires a -8 bulkhead fitting, -8 to -6 reducer, and a -6 to barb fitting in order to install the Holly kit. Most cells do not have baffles and rely on foam to control slosh.

The 0 to 90 ohm GM sender is exactly what my 87 has ( I think later Jeep models may be 90 to 0 ohm).

I'm still using the stock pump mounted externally since I had a couple laying around. If they burn up I'll go to a E2000 pump. Since my bitch hasn't moved in over a year, I doubt I'll burn through many pumps.

-Jon

Kaczman said:
The 0 to 90 ohm GM sender is exactly what my 87 has ( I think later Jeep models may be 90 to 0 ohm).

That's my recollection as well. The worst case is that the fuel gauge would read backward. I suppose an enterprising young lad with a soldering iron could hot wire the gauge to reverse the terminals.

here's a quick pictorial "how to" on plumbing the holley kit.

NOTE! the holley kit has been updated, and the current instructions are totally misleading. in order to get the new kit to work, you must use a "T" fitting that is not included in the kit. Hopefully, they will include one in the kit soon. My pics show a t fitting in place.

In order to have a clean install with my fuel cell, so that I could use the two "bungs' usually included at the bottom of most fuel cell sumps, I chose a fuel cell that uses FEMALE npt fittings.

this allowed me to use a modified hose barb/reducer fitting.

I used a 1/2-3/8 threaded reducer fitting, and screwed in a 3/8 hose barb on the one end. THE BACKSIDE OF THE REDUCER MUST BE TAPPED HALFWAY, since pipe threads are tapered. what you have left is a fitting that can be screwed into the fuel cell bung, that has a hose barb on BOTH ends

img_3724.jpg

once you have the fitting in place, the rest is easy. I placed one pickup at the bottom of the sump, and the other is at the front near the sender. THE FOAM OF THE FUEL CELL KEEPS THE PICKUPS IN PLACE. The foam must be removed to make installation easier.

cell6.JPG

this shows the "layout"

another one:

cell7.JPG

cell8.JPG

cell9.JPG

cell10.JPG

this shows the cell FOAM being placed over the pickups:

cell11.JPG

that's pretty much it!

Why?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm just ignorant on this subject. Why go to a fuel cell instead of sticking with the factory gas tank?

Robert

Re: Why?

XJWheelie said:
I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm just ignorant on this subject. Why go to a fuel cell instead of sticking with the factory gas tank?

Robert

Also, when you get in a fiery wreck and roll 16 times down the mountainside, the fuel cell is supposed to be tougher and not puncture as easily, and if it does puncture the foam inside keeps the gas from spewing out all at once to feed the flames. Racers use them.

Re: Why?

XJWheelie said:

Robert

Many people have many different reasons, on XJs, YJ, and TJs it's often so they can move the rear axle back. For me, I have an MJ and the gas tank makes it impossible to do a 4 link, and nearly impossible to do a 3 link suspension.

Kaczman said:

Wow I dug deep! Can someone testify to the stock fuel system using a 0-90 ohm sender?

Matt

The GM sender wont work, you need a ford sender Its going to read full at empty and empty at full. At least thats who mine worked out, I used a inline pump from a VW not sure on a year or make I just looked through a book for fuel presssure flow rates. The VW pump had closer rates to the stock 4.0L pump that the E3000 or what ever the Ford pump is?

Hey Beez,the pick up works alot better when there is fuel in the cell,huh?Sorry Beez,I had to get that it.Are you coming to NacFest this year?

Back