• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question for you guys. Should I NOT put on my new wheels and tires for winter?

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
Well as you guys know (most of you gave me advice on my wheel and tire selection) I bought new wheels and tires. I decided to go with the 17 x 7 TSW Apex wrapped with 255/45/17 Toyo Proxes TS-1 Tires. I rarely drive when it snows when I'm at school here in CT. I walk every where here (class, to practice, etc) so I'm not concerned about winter driving... just those days when its raining because my Goodyear RT/S are horrible when wet!

Should I wait to put them on keeping in mind that I rarely drive when it snows?

apex_sil.jpg

t1s.jpg

Weasel said:
go for it. don't see any reason not to run them. They don't look like they would be that bad in snow if you had to drive.

That was my thinking. Toyo actually told me that they arent horrible in the snow, just not reccommended.

The only reason I might not run them is the abuse from the salt and other crap from winter... but I rarely drive during the winter. My canyons have been through its first winter and they look better now than they did when I first put them on!

I won't worry about salt. If the wheels are alum. salt won't hurt them. I have alum wheels and the road salt/grime doesn't phase them but I do try to wash them off as soon as a nice day comes along.

Weasel said:
I won't worry about salt. If the wheels are alum. salt won't hurt them. I have alum wheels and the road salt/grime doesn't phase them but I do try to wash them off as soon as a nice day comes along.

Aux contraire. Salt is murder on aluminum alloy wheels. When new they will be coated with a clear coat to protect the aluminum from things like salt, but in Connecticut the state highway department and most towns now use pure salt on the roads, not even sand/salt mix. Doesn't matter if you don't drive during a snow strom, the roads are coated with salt and after the first storm, it won't be gone until two or three good rainstorms following the last application of salt to the highways.

Considering how much those rims cost you, I think it would be foolish to run them in the winter around here.

I used to work for Toyo..........the T1-S are horrible in the snow, I'd leave them off.

Here they are... the pictures don't look as half as good as they do in real life! Thank you. for helping me make my decesion

275689_142_full.jpg

275689_156_full.jpg

275689_145_full.jpg

Last edited:
:looser:

Are you sponsored by AutoZone ? :roflmao:

Take some of that gay stuff off, Geez..... :puke:

mark268 said:

Dude, did YOU pay for the mods on HIS Jeep?

If not, then STFU. Who are you to pass judgement on his Jeep?

HE likes it, HE paid for it, nuff said.

mark268 said:

:rattle:

Phil Weeks said:
You don't like what he did to it, so it's gay?:rolleyes:
It's his Jeep, if he likes the way it is, cool.

Well said :thumbup:

John-Boy said:
Dude, did YOU pay for the mods on HIS Jeep?

If not, then STFU. Who are you to pass judgement on his Jeep?

HE likes it, HE paid for it, nuff said.

"STFU" --> Enough said :laugh:

mark268 said:

uhhh, as it was said before, STFU

No one wants to hear it.

mark268 said:
:eek: hahahaha , keep them coming!

If you insist, STFU n00b.

What offset are the wheels Dan?

mark268 said:

:rattle:

STFU NOOB

hjeepxj said:

What offset are the wheels Dan?

The offset is 40... I thought that was going to be too big, but I guess not.

mark268 said:
Ok dude, my MJ is on 35" MT/Rs but I can understand that not everybody wants to take a nice vehicle, especially a 2000 like this one, off road and beat it up. That doesn't make it any less of an XJ, and if you didn't notice, this is NAXJA, an owners club for... XJs! (and MJs). It is not the "Take your XJ offroad because that is what we want you to do" Association. My Jeep is dirty, dented, and kinda ugly if you don't like it, be I can respect this street Jeep because someone put the effort in to make it look how they want it to look. Would I do this to a Jeep I owned? No. It would probably be ugly and junky. But it's not my Jeep.

Phil Weeks said:
Ok dude, my MJ is on 35" MT/Rs but I can understand that not everybody wants to take a nice vehicle, especially a 2000 like this one, off road and beat it up. That doesn't make it any less of an XJ, and if you didn't notice, this is NAXJA, an owners club for... XJs! (and MJs). It is not the "Take your XJ offroad because that is what we want you to do" Association. My Jeep is dirty, dented, and kinda ugly if you don't like it, be I can respect this street Jeep because someone put the effort in to make it look how they want it to look. Would I do this to a Jeep I owned? No. It would probably be ugly and junky. But it's not my Jeep.

:cheers:

Well said... Again!

Back