• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshart trouble

maineiac

NAXJA Forum User
last weekend i went out wheeling and all 4 bolts broke of in the yoke .i replaced the yoke and it did it again ,did it a third time and it was ok till today when i went off road again and all 4 bolts snaped again! any ideas what would cause this? im tired of replaceing yokes.it never did this before and it was beat alot harder:mad:

throw your old yokes out. they are junk and they have no buisness on an offroad machine :)

You need to get the strap type yokes, they are the ticket to solve your problem.
They use a ubolt with half inch nuts to hold the ujoint cap instead of a crap ass cap with two dinky bolts.

Hope this helps

go on ebay $10
they are the same as on a dana 44
they sell them on e-bay all the time

or if you want them new, clutch and ujoint has them aswell.

my problem is at the transfer case cv joint, it's binding at full drop of the axle. i have a high pinion d30 and the angle from there is fine. and i already have the ubolt.

maineiac said:
last weekend i went out wheeling and all 4 bolts broke of in the yoke .i replaced the yoke and it did it again ,did it a third time and it was ok till today when i went off road again and all 4 bolts snaped again! any ideas what would cause this? im tired of replaceing yokes.it never did this before and it was beat alot harder:mad:

I would be looking for a root cause! How much lift?Do you have a SYE?What tires and gears?

I agree with RCP Phx -- sure, a u-bolt type yoke is stronger than a strap type, but the strap type should certainly last longer than a week or three.

Which yoke busted -- the pinion yoke or the slip yoke? How much lift? How much droop in your suspension? What are the u-joint operating angles?

It sounds like you probably have a setup that allows the driveshaft to deflect beyond the range of the u-joint/yoke, and the result is that it binds up, causing it to self-destruct.

Another cause maybe that your yoke is worn and alowing the joint to move and shockloading the straps and bolts. trust me I learned the hard way about those things.

i found the problem:) i used a 1 in lift block in the back for more lift and its broken in the front so the rear is droping foward when i get on it :anon:

Back