• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tools for filter adapt removal

GWUISTER

NAXJA Forum User
Took the time to check for where the oil leak is coming from on my 96 4.0 xj. Figured it was the rear seal and may still be but the filter adapter is leaking at the point where it seals to the block. I read some posts and will get o-ring seals, but my Haynes doesn't address this at all. What do I need to remove this? Allen or Torks? What size?
Also while checking things out I opened the fuse box near the coolent bottle and where the starter fuse or relay is supposed to be there is a wire jumper!! A previous owner performance mod!!
Is this a fuse or relay or what? I'm sure that replacing the jumper would be a good idea altho I have had no problems with the starter(yet)
Also re- the leak, I checked the crankcase pressures and it is under vaccum not pressure so I am sure the oil isn't being pushed out past the seals.
Thanks -greg

Tools

Your going to need a 9/16" allen 1/2" drive socket to loosen the thru bolt for the adapter. Autozone has a set of three for around ten bucks. Now here's where it gets fun. There isn't enough clearance for a 1/2"drive breaker bar and the allen socket, so you either drive the allen wrench part out of the socket and use a large cresent to hold it (may need to add cheater pipe to cresent wrench) to turn the bolt. Or remove the thru bolt on the R/H motor mount and lift that side of the engine to clear the tooling. It's probably on very tight. I did it using a 15"cresent wrench. Oil leak stopped!!

Thanks Willysnut, I have a 9/16 allen wrench so if I need to I will cut a section off to a shorter length. I can weld it to a piece of bar stock and make a custom wrench!
Thanks, -greg

Mine was a pain in the ass...seized!

You need beer!!! Lots of beer!!! :mad:

Mines a Torx.....

GWUISTER:
My 96 has a Torx bolt... #55 or #60. You think I'd remember I just did this two weeks ago. You might use a mirror to view it.
I did have to drive the Torx bit out of the socket adapter, you can also slip a boxend wrench over the bit to break it loose. A ratcheting boxend will help....
The O ring kit is #1-04720363.
Good Luck !!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Remember that the through bolt is drilled mostly down its length, and crossdrilled twice near the head. Risk of breaking - Hell yes! Happened to me! Oddly enough, mine let go on assembly...

Soak well with PB Blaster, and DO NOT yank on anything to break it loose! Smooth, steady motions will win the day here.

Once you have it to bits, use a pick to check AND CLEAN the internal threads in the block, and use Never-Seez or Teflon paste on the threads. I don't know why, but this is the first something I've seen that lives in an oil bath and siezes anyhow! Wierd...

The saving grace of my job is that the Renix adapters use a 5/8" box wrench, and that makes it loads easier... You may want to have a chain wrench handy if it gets too sticky - that will give you a way to grip the outside of the bolt and alternate means of turning it to remove.

5-90

Thanks guys, I guess I will check it with a mirror and then see how my luck goes. Seems like it will either be easy or difficult!
Anyone know about the starter relay/fuse question in the first post?
Thanks -greg

Back