• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dilema

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK... so I did some calculations and I realized that I am way too short on $$ to implement all my plans by this coming summer :( (I just checked the lotto numbers for yesterday and I didn't win.... again :( ) so.... the axle buildup that I was planning to be done with by summer probably won't start till summer.

OK... so the issue is that my trac loc is on it's last legs (132K miles and when I drain the diff fluid it looks like mercury) and I need to do something about it.... I don't get to wheel as often as I'd like, but when I do, I don't know if I like the idea of an open rear differential so.... what can I put into my Chry 8.25 that's fairly inexpensive and not to hard to install (btw it's the 29 spline version)?
Oh... and I see a lot of street miles (120+ miles a day) if that makes any difference.....

Lock Right

Only thing out there that fits the criteria you enumerated.

Eagle, do they make them now that will fit into a limited slip carrier?

Remi, you're options are whatever will fit into that LSD carrier.

Replacement LSD, maybe another trac-lock if you can pull it out of a bone yard? Prolly not the best, but might be cheaper than a locker, eh?

Well... I did look into rebuilding the LSD, but it seems somewhat complicated :( and involved.... and I'm hoping to have something that will "increase" the resale value of my axle when I drop in the D44 under....

When a Trac-Loc wears out it just stops acting like a limited-slip and converts back to an open diff, right? That is, it won't damage anything or cease to work at all...?

Assuming that's the case, and assuming that you are intended to build a new axle, or at least buy something more than just an "inexpensive limited slip"... then just live with an open diff for awhile! It's not that bad really - I've got two of them and I've made trails they said couldn't be done with 33's and a locker (and without damage at that!). There's no point throwing money at something only to replace it a few months later. Just save the money you would have thrown at it and add that to your fund - it will allow you to complete your axle buildup just a little sooner. Read the "worst mod" thread for stories about buying one thing just to replace it later.

Just my two cents...

EDIT: concerning resale value - most modifications, if they raise the value at all, do not raise it by the amount it cost. For instance, how many times have you seen axle's for sale here or elsewhere with a line like "Have $1500 in it, would like to get $400"? It is a rare thing to make money by adding parts. The last car I sold, a hot-rod 66' mustang, I had over 8000 in. I sold it for 4500 - and I got mucho lucky to get that.

Drewlee... I did consider what you're saying but..... I like my trac loc :D (or rather the "help" it offers while wheeling).
In regards to resale value... what I'm saying is that it's going to be easier to sell a 4.11 8.25 with some sort of traction device then without one.... I'm not looking to make money on it, just to get some costs back :D

Goatman -- no, I don't think they have a lockright for the Trac-Lok carrier. I overlooked that little detail. I think they make a No-Slip for the Trac-Lok carier, but that's about twice the cost of the Lock Right.

Kejtar could probably find an open carrier from someone who has upgraded to a Detroit or Auburn, but then you're into setting up the gears again. Not the end of the world -- pinion depth is the more difficult one, all this would entail is backlash, but still needs to be checked.

The Trac-Lok is rebuildable. Last I knew the kits were about $65 from Drive Train Direct. As an interim, that might be the way to go. Same housing, so there would be no need to reset backlash. "Just" pull the carrier, rebuild the clutch pack, and reinstall.

Drewlee77 said:
[BI've got two of them and I've made trails they said couldn't be done with 33's and a locker (and without damage at that!). [/B]
Yeah I did a run with some TJ/YJ guyes and they said the trail intended was for a well lifted jeep with 35" and locker in rear at least. Did it with a 2 1/2 (sagging crap), 29" and LSD. Crawled a tuff spot and got out and turned back to see if any of the TJ/YJ crowd would fallow me, the only one flipped on its side and took a bunch of damage. Made me proud to have my XJ. :cool:

Looks to me like you can either rebuild the trac-loc or put in a no-slip. If you aren't going to keep the axle, go with the LSD. If you intend to keep the axle, get the no-slip.

RR3

Remi-
A No-Slip is the only thing that will fit into that carrier. If you want to stay with a LS and don't mind a reset of the gears, the Auburn I had worked great.
I have a No-Slip in the Dana 44 I just installed, and it's VERY well mannered on the street.

What is keeping you from just doing the 44, if you are gonna put money into something, put it into what you are gonna end up using. People will buy your old diff the way it is just to upgrade from the Dana 35. Is the cost of setting up the gears the problem, if so bring it over and I will do them for ya, it ain't rocket science and does not take too long.

Carrier's are not that much and you should be able to find a used one. If you really want to spend the $$ on the current axle, I'd try an open arrier and lockright.

Fullsizexj said:
What is keeping you from just doing the 44, if you are gonna put money into something, put it into what you are gonna end up using. People will buy your old diff the way it is just to upgrade from the Dana 35. Is the cost of setting up the gears the problem, if so bring it over and I will do them for ya, it ain't rocket science and does not take too long.

Thanks for the offer Richard... but it's everything else that adds up..... the brakes (wanna do the discs while it's out there), gears (if I'm doing it... might as well do front and rear), the locker (since I'm regearing it... might as well put a locker in it). So all in all I think it'd add up to be close to a grand to do everything to it and frankly... I'm flat broke :( But I might take you up on this as I'd like to learn how to do my own gears (people said it's simple... but I think I'd rather help someone do the first set :D so that I can attempt to do the other one myself :D

OK... It's pretty much official... I jacked up the rear end and turned one tire and the other one went in the other direction... my tracloc is no longer dying.... it's dead :(

Back