• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying carrier/gears, will they need to be re-set?

BrentNClemson

NAXJA Forum User
I may buy a carrier, 4.56 ring & pinion, and no-slip for a D44 from someone soon. The locker is installed and the ring and pinion were previously set on his D44. Will I be able to bolt the carrier right in w/out having the gears set? What should I make sure he sends w/ the gears and carrier? Should there be a difference from axle to axle?? I've obviously never done much w/ the diff. gears, so thanks for the help!
-Brent

Last edited:
setting the gears reffers to adjusting the relationship between the pinion gear and the ring gear... by shimming the pinion closer or farther away. it seems to me you are thinking about how the ring gear attatchs to the carrier itself, this is non-adjustable... the carrier bolts in directly to the housing and is also not adjustable.. as long as you are putting it into a D44 you shouldnt have much problem..
mike

So basically since the ring gear and pinion gear will be sent to me separately, I'm going to have to have them set? This is how I understand it, there are four things that can be adjusted: pinion depth, pinion bearing preload, backlash (which would seem to be a function of the pinion location), and carrier bearing preload. If the carrier/locker/ring gear assembly and the pinion gear are sent to me, which of these (if any) would have to be adjusted once in side my axle?? How are the bearing preloads adjusted?

Yes, the gears will have to be re-set.The methods used differ between modelsThe D44 uses shims on the pinion and carrier to adjust depth/pre-load!

brent....

I'm starting to think maybe you are getting in over yer head.....

you need the proper tools, that's for sure, but ya gotta know what you are doing first.

take a look at west coast differentials, theres some really good info there.

ok. my bad on the "qoute".... multi-tasking keeps the brain from paying attention to what the fingers type..
mike

Haha, okay sounds good. I've never really looked into the process of setting up gears before, but definitely know a lot more after doing research and reading info from you guys. You gotta learn some way, right? I'm not going be setting up the gears myself...maybe one day! I'll most likely just get new gears put in next week and look into a locker later. Thanks ya'll!

Back