• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sagging OME Rear?!?

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my new OME 2" lift on for about 2 months now and there is about a 1-1.5" difference between the front and the rear. I thought that OME was supposed to be a really good leaf and didn't sag when you bought it? Anyone have any experience with OME springs doing this?!?!

Thanks,
Jamie

I'm not trying to be a smart@$$....

1) Did you measure when you first got it? Has it really sagged, or did you just noticed? I ask because this happened with me.:rolleyes:

2) There is a stock difference of 1.5" between front and back, when you measure from axle center to flare tip.

I know that when I first got my JC1Bs, my XJ still had a slight case of droopbutt. I had to install MJ shackles(1/2"?) to kinda level things out.

edit: what Drewlee says......it does depend on what you are carrying in the back.

Last edited:
Mine settled about .5-1" after a month or so - but they started out at 3" lift. Are you carrying alot of weight in the back? Assuming you got the regular-duty springs (since you called them 2" lift); they are very soft and will sag with much weight. For instance, the reason I say they settled .5"-1" is because it depends on whether I measure with or without my little 10" sub+box and tools. Before I put all that stuff in I was at 2.5" lift, now the 70lbs or so of stuff I have in the back dropped it about .5".

Anyway, all that to say: How much are you carrying in the back?

How much lift did you get out of the front? Perhaps you have the 931's instead of the 930's? My front springs only settled a minute amount while the back settled noticably.

EDIT: btw - they are a really good leaf and they don't sag as easily or quickly as other leafs, but they will eventually sag. After a year of HARD use, mine have only lost a tiny amount since the initial settling. All springs will "settle" at first.

My JC1B's ended up giving me about 1.5" of lift.... and the jc1a's ended up at about 2"....

KEV

Out of curiousity, I went and measured mine - it's been awhile... right now, I am at 1.5" lift front and back. Not sure though how I measured the first time - whether I had the proper measurements from "stock" or whether I just measured before and after the lift. At any rate, I thought it may be helpful... this is after 20k+ miles and lots of wheeling (my wheeling usaully uses alot of flex and the town I live in has TERRIBLE roads - so they've had a hard life so far.) Anyway, that's my experience... take it for it's worth - I hope it helps.

Well I did just put on one of those "light" C4x4 rear bumpers.... I don't suppose that would have anything to do with it would it :)

I guess I am going to have to get some rear shackles to bring up that end in that case. Have any of you guys had experience with those revolver shackles? I don't know how much lift they give or anything like that but I am sure that they could do the trick and they would help with articulation as well!!

I didn't think I was going to catch inchitis but dog-gone-it I did!

I am getting intrested in that rally stuff that Jeep Speed does so I think I am going to have to start doing some research into designing an appropriate suspension system for the cause.

-Jamie

You could also add a JCXL leaf. It'll add another 20% or so to the spring-rate, but will definitely allow you to carry a load along with that C4x4 bumper/tire carrier. The JCXL still allows the rear to flex, once you break it in - but you do have to break it in.

It might come down to adding another leaf in the rear. The C4x4 rear bumper that I have does not have the spare tire carrier or anything else, it's just a rear bumper.... no other weight to it. If I was to go with the JCXL would I have to take the rear springs off and then put the extra spring on, then bolt it back on? Putting that rear spring on was kind of a PITA, so if I could keep the rear spring on there when installing the add a leaf that would be awesome but it would be kind of Nnn- Mickey Mouse rigged doing it that way.

I want to find out if the revolver shackles provide any lift before I make a final decision. I could see doing both revolver shackles and add a leafs to the rear if they both provide lift.... then I am going to have to get a new set of front coils :) .

-Jamie

Back