• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96'AX5 to 98' 4.0

XJRubicon

NAXJA Forum User
I can't seem to find a pilot bearring that fits both around the input shaft of the AX5 and fit snug in the crank of the 98' 4.0

The bearring I keep getting does not fit snug in the 4.0 crank.

Am I missing a piece?

Is the crankshaft different on automatic 98' 4.0's?

I tried all the auto stores... they all had the same narrow bearring.

I went to gopher bearring and they told me that it was not possable to get the correct size bearring.

Someone help please! Snow is on it's way!

Anyone know anything about the jeep pilot bearrings?!
There is a blizzard comming and I need some info quick!

I'm off to the dealership

I don't know about the pilot bearings but AFAIK, the cranks are the same both on the automatics and the manuals.
The AX5 was originally fitted behind the 2.5 in the YJ, TJ and XJ so I think that's where your problem lies. The pilot bearing of the AX5 is supposed to fit inside the 2.5 crank. The 4.0 XJ's came with the stronger AX15 tranny so I don't think it's a good idea to put an AX5 behind a 4.0 unless you're only going to be using it for light duty.

Well perhaps I am wrong and this is a AX15. because this tranny IS from a 1996 TJ WITH a 4.0

My problem is not my tranny. It worked sweet in moab. 7000 miles no prob.

my problem is the pilot bearring not fitting in the crank

Odd....... that certainly should be an AX15, the AX5 tranny supposed only came behind the 4cyls.

I've had no trouble getting a tight fitting pilot bearing down here. The old ones have been quite snug.

ChiXJeff

Thanks dyno and ChiXJeff, so they never made a ax5 behind a 4.0 right?

BTW... when I was looking for a pilot bearring, I never mentioned anythin about there being differn't year parts involved and all that...that kinda thing just confuses parts guys. Instead I went to them with the original configuration of a 96' TJ with a 4.0. that should be all the info required to find me a pilot bearring but that didn't work, so then I tried a 98' TJ (the year of the motor since the bearring fits the tranny shaft good, but not the crank. they give the same number as the 96'.

So now that I have found out everything is all the same and it should all work... why doesn't it?? There is a good 1 to 2 mm between the outer surface of the bearring and the crank.

One guy I talked to today said there may be a plastic type sleeve missing out of the crank. Anyone know anything about this??!!

I been to the junkyard and I found a newer xj with a missing 5 speed and there seams to be no sleeve in the crank.

I am about to go to the hardware store and cut a strip of brass and wrap it around a few times and then try to tap the bearing in.

But if there is a better way I would sure like to hear it, cuz either way....before the snow hits the ground tomarrow morning, the beast will roll again.

My friendly local Jeep parts pusher has a couple of different ways of replacing a pilot bushing. There is just the basic pilot bushing, and then there is a large sleeve (aluminum I think) that is probably 2" or 2.5" in diameter. The larger sleeve is what actually holds the pilot bushing. Wonder if yours got hogged out somehow?

If you're really in a bind, call Parts @ Lou's Sales (630-232-2860) and talk to Ted.

AutoZone down here doesn't even have a pilot bushing available.

cool man, I'm callin big Ted

ChiXJeff, you and Ted are the the man!

...or would that be the men...

Anyways, yeah man, this is a 98' 4.0 from an auto so it never had the sleeve in it...

Part number 5300919AB from your local jeep dealer and your in it to win it!

Thanks again!

I'm goin up to the jeep dealer to teach them about pilot bearring sleeves. They should have hooked me up the first time I went to them about 7 or 8 months ago when I did the swap. oh happy days.

Cool...... let us know when you get back on the road then.

Ted has more freakin' wierd $hit hiding out in the back room than you would believe possible. Jeep dealers for about 5 counties come to him for the oddball parts.

They've also got a white fullsize Wagoneer sitting in the showroom right now with 30,000 original miles on it.

Back