• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas smell,any suggestions?

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
Any help here would be appreciated. I have a 96 with a 4.0. A couple of days ago I started to get the smell of gas inside. This occurs only inside while driving and doesn't really dissipate when the windows are opened; also, my milage has started to drop. The gas cap is intact and I cannot find a leak. Thanks for the help

You might want to check your injectors. The O-rings could be leaking, or worse, the injectors themselves could be leaking. I had the same problem myself. I thought O-rings were going out so I changed all of them and it still leaked. I found the 3 injectors that were leaking and replaced them. A week later, the other 3 leaked so I replaced them. Aftermarket injectors can run kinda high. I paid close to $300 for them. I would check out the ford injectors. they are the same and cost about $125 for a set of 6. Dont forget the check the fuel lines where they connect to the fuel rail. The O-rings in them can go bad. Good luck.

90red

Suggest you not drive the vehicle until the source of the smell has been identified and corrected. If it is a leaky injector (or more than one), it can result in a fire. I watched a nice red XJ burn up in front of a former GF's house due to that. It also happened to one of our members -- who knew it was leaking and drove to the dealership to buy new o-rings. It burned up outside the dealership while he was standing at the parts counter.

I would also check your fuel filter. I replacved mine over the summer with a brand spankin new one from jeep, and it started to leak from around the seam. I checked everything thinking that it could never be the new filter. I was wrong. EL cheapo one from auto zone is holding up just fine now.

I have had this problem for about 6 months. I have done checks on the lines from tank to rail and back, checked injectors, O-rings, clips, name it and it has been checked. No leak found, and it only does it on long runs. I know it is leaking because of the fuel smell, but also if I shut it off, and restart it, it fires up, let set for a while and it cranks alot before it fires up. I have no clue where the leak is, but it is releasing the pressure on the fuel rail. Milage is irratic. Drove 200+ miles to go to a lake, drove around for 2 days and used a quarter tank, toke a trip ~275-300 miles and used a full tank, and it was all high way driving, the lake trip was through the mountains, up and down. :confused:

On the '95, FPR on rail

Your tank could have a pin hole in it. I had a gas smell last year and it was the lines leading to the fuel filter. Replaced them all and put a new fuel filter in. Everything was fine for a few months, and the I started to smell the leak again. It turned out that the tank had rusted along the bottom where it came in contact ever so slightly with the tank skid. just a pin hole, but when the pressure really built up, it would leak. So I replaced the tank and fuel pump.
Good luck and I agree with Eagle, find out what the problem is before driving it anywhere.
-Tom

And the winner is?

Thanks guys everyone was about the injector. Eagle, I actually haven't been running since the day I started to smell the gas, fire insurance will cover the xj, but I think I'll opt out of being included in the festivities. I ran home and checked it, god I love living close to work, and noticed the #2 injector had some moisture when the motor was turned over. Time to pick up some o-rings....

Before removing the injectors, tank or any other parts I would recommend checking the high pressure fuel line where it curves and plugs into the injector rail----check the plastic-formed section that's molded to the stainless tubes.

You need to look real close because these develop pinholes and will squirt a fine mist of gas on the intake manifold and will eventually drip and run down the tube close to the exhaust manifold.

Mine did very same thing ...

Back