• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE lift?

DARKFLY

NAXJA Forum User
i was looking at RE'S 5.5" lift kit and was wondering what the differance is in the long arm and the regular lift kit? is a long arm better?

Seems like everyone has their own opinion on long arms vs. short. I think the best thing to do would be to ....go back and search. There's probably more than you can read about long arms by now. As far as the differance, I think it's basically that one has the regular length arms and drop brackets, the other has a new (relocated?) crossmember, and the new longer arms.

Seems like everyone has their own opinion on long arms vs. short
Only the people who have never ran a long arm set up.

Try to cross the Golden Crack in Moab with short arms and 7" of lift, it just puts too much stress on the old XJ and it limits the good stuff

the whole point of a long arm kit is to allow for alot more axle droop.

Here's some light reading........

http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=87449&sortby=&sortorder=

Having wheeled with those sporting both, long arms ride smoother, allow for more droop, may drag on large rocks, make climbing steep stuff difficult without a limit strap, require more fabbing, cost more in kit form.........

On the shorter side, not as nice a ride when lifted above 5", still flex well, drop brackets will equal the ride of the long arms but create ground clearance issues, cost less in kit form, want to let the axle shift under the rig when drooped and attempting to climb stuff............

My choice is mid-arm which involves the relocation of the mounting points on an adjustable short LCA which nets you improved arm angles and great ground clearance too.......many options.......choose wisely.

Long arms dont really have much to do with drop-out!I did not change my shocks when I did mine therefore no change in travel just the ride!My buddy has my old lift and just added drop brackets to his,same flex as my old kit but better ride!I notice "NO" change in regards to the front lifting,also since my arms are mounted high and inside I have "yet" to hit them on something!BillR is talking about Ford radius arms which are almost as long as mine yet since the C-Clip mounts to the centerline of the axle they would end up almost flat like a DB kit!

XJEEPER said:
My choice is mid-arm which involves the relocation of the mounting points on an adjustable short LCA which nets you improved arm angles and great ground clearance too.......many options.......choose wisely.

Is there a "mid-arm" kit on the market or are you talking custom stuff? I'd be interested in how/where they locate the arms .... when you say a short LCA do you mean a slight length increase over the usual shorties or .... yes I get confused easily.

I have the re 5.5 "short arms". Rides pretty well for being on 33s, but I definitely see the drop brackets not sliding well off rocks ... if you wheel on that kinda stuff:D

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Take you're pick.

If you never ride in a rig with a LA kit, you'll never miss it.

The process is to move your axle bracket holes up and your uni-frame bracket mounting holes back............resulting in a 15 degree LCA angle....opposed to the 23 degree LCA angle that a 6" lift will get you without drop brackets. You will be able to run an arm that is approx 2" longer that the standard RE arms.
That's the simple answer. I have more details if you want to hit me with a PM.

I have a drop kit on mine because the long arm is not available. I really tried to wait for RE to release the LA, but couldn't wait. I am pleased with the drop bracket 5.5 Extreme from RE. Ride is great and I am happy with it. I went all through Tellico and never hit the brackets.

Personally, I think they are equal. Both have advantages and disadvantage. I personally enjoyed the $700 or so cheaper price.

I researched it like you did and thought I would add My $.02.

I've seen a bit of everything...and here's what I've noticed.

I'm going with about 6" of lift here in my examples.

Short arms and no drop brackets = harsh ride and limited flex...BTDT

Short arms and drop brackets = much better ride, way better flex, BTDT.

Now, anything smaller (that I've seen) than 35s with drop brackets the brackets may become an issue as far as rock hangups go. On the other hand...longarm kits that are mounted on the UNDERSIDE of the frame with ANY size tire hang up like crazy! I've seen them hang up way more than anything...and I didn't like what I saw. However, I've wheeled with/ridden in another rig where the guy took RE TJ longarms when they first came out and built his OWN crossmember for them to fit. Only difference is he mounted them INBOARD and UP in such a way that if you look at it from the side you CANNOT see the arms!!! THIS way virtually eliminates all hangups that I mentioned before. He's riding on 37s and Bilstein 9100's. The ride? I've not felt a better ride in a Cadillac. Does that say much? I think it does.

In all my conclusion would be that for the $$, you're better off with short arms and drop brackets. Unless you're going to do the longarms RIGHT, don't waste your time mounting them under the frame.

Back