• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Volvo Axles

Rev Den

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone thought of swapping in Volvo 303 portal axles in thier junk? I am not gonna do it, just happened upon them under a Land Rover and thought maybe it would be a neat idea.

Rev

It would be, but I'm not sure how feasible it is.

I can see some oilpan issues rearing their head.

And the gearing sucks for anything that would be driven to trails.

CRASH

CRASH said:

And the gearing sucks for anything that would be driven to trails.

CRASH

Crash, you're looking at it all wrong, you just need bigger tires to make the gearing right. :D

they're geared at what? around 7.5? so with some 40 inch MTRs and a .70 OD AW4, you would be looking at about 3000 rpm at 70 mph :cool:

CRASH said:
It would be, but I'm not sure how feasible it is.

I can see some oilpan issues rearing their head.

CRASH

if you mount the axle the same way it is now, i don't see how ther would be oil pan issues. you wouldn't be raising the axle closer to the pan, you'd actually be lowering the tires!

matthew

This is what I saw that started this...

Yes...it would need huge tires to compansate for low gears. The axle itself is bigger so i can see how you may need a little lift to clear the pan.

Interesting

Rev

Silly me, I keep thinking in terms of tire sizes that begin with the numeral "three".

I guess if we're talking tires for portals, I need to get into 4 or even 5 mode.
in%20front%20with%2053's.jpg

CRASH

I´ve looked at the same thing a few times over the years. Was studying MOG axles with the reduction gears also. Always wondered if the reduction gears reversed the rotation. The 303 axles I looked at, sure enough looked like Dana clones, wonder the possiblity of adapting the reduction gears to danna axles.
Got a 5/4 ton Dodge frame in the driveway, a narrow 60 rear (dually), know where I can get a CJ-8 body off of an old airport tug. A Dodge drivetrain, 360 motor, loadflight 727 auto.
Would probably take some serious springs or ladder bars to deal with axle wrap.
Make a heck of a project, the guys at the inspection station, would probably laugh all the way to there coffee break and have something to talk about all day long. The rim size, on the 404, is the same as a 2 1/2 ton military, wonder what the 303 has. 18 or 20 inch rim I forget which, could carry some serious rubber. The new Michelin military tire, has about the same tread as in the photo.

Yea...thats kinda what I was thinking. The reason for the Volvos is I think they are lighter thah the mogs, but do not know for sure.

Oh well...interesting to dream.

Rev

I've had this idea as well. The Volvo axles come with 16 inch rims, 154cm track width. They weigh next to nothing and I've told they are comparable to Dana 60 in strength (but MUCH lighter). They come with vacuum controlled diff-locks, and with either about 6:1 or 7:1 gears, the latter being from the Volvo C306 (6x6 version). The Volvos use normal leaf springs, if it works there, why won't it work here. Biggest problem though - in addition to low gears - diffs on the right. :(

Here you go....

Shot an e-mail to them this morning to see what cost it would be..... this was there response......

Hi

Thanks for the mail. The current going price is RM
10,000 (USD1= RM 3.80) per pair, excl shipping and
packing. These axles are ex-military, used but
complete and in full working order. They are ready for
whatever mods you choose to make.

I have shipped quite a few sets to the US already, so
thats not a problem. Shipping and packing to a port
near you would add say another RM 1500 to the price
and is definitely cheaper than door-to-door delivery.

I am not sure what you mean by drivers side droop?

Hope this helps. If you'd like to take this further,
do get back to me.

Best Rgds

Shah

--- Glenn Fulmer <[email protected]> wrote: > And
was curious. what do they cost front and rear
> shipped to the US. Is it cheaper to pick them up at
> a port? Does the front have a drivers side droop?
TIA

So for roughly about $3026.33 you can have a set deliverd to a port near you!

Search POR, this has been beaten to death on that board.

CRASH

Here you go....

I asked them that too....

Vehicles here are RHD, and the front diff is on the
right side (ie passenger side for you)

They are about 70 inches wide from wheel mount to
wheel mount.

Rgds

I try to avoid POR too many know it alls for me.......

Re: Here you go....

Ghost said:
So for roughly about $3026.33 you can have a set deliverd to a port near you!

Not bad... Id say doing dana 60 front d70 rear takes about $1200 to get to to that same starting point, no suspension, no drive shafts no steering....

So its safe to say the volvos are twice the price as going 1ton, but you get gearing (saves cost) and clearance that Id say is worth the extra price...

What about lockers or hubs... I havent looking into the volvos much...

spools are ok if it has hubs on the front.

As I said, they come with vacuum operated manual diff locks, isn't that good enough? ;)

They have large drum brakes which I would think would work well enough, as these volvos are much heavier than XJ's.. but I don't know the volume of the brake cylinders, so I don't know if you could plug them right onto the original brake booster.

About pinions I'm not sure, but I think they use fairly ordinary U-joints (maybe you'll have to adjust the size, that's all). The problem with Unimog axles is that they have a weird suspension setup with large tubes from the diffs hinged into the gearbox, with straght driveshafts inside, so there are really no joints at the diffs. The volvos however run ordinary leaf springs and also ordinary drive shafts with U-joints.

Back