• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent rear end?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I think the noise I've been having is coming from the rear axle.:(
I put the Jeep's rear end up on jackstands and ran it. There's a rumbling coming from the rear that I can feel and hear. Also, I have a slight wheel wobble. I took the wheel off, and can see the axle flange wobbling slightly. I bought this rear end from a "recycler" and I think I got ripped off!:mad:
What are my options now? Is there a way to tell if the housing's bent? Swapping out the axle shafts wouldn't be too bad, but a bent housing along with it would really suck!
I can feel the rumbling in the diff when I put my hand on the pumpkin while it's running. How can I determine if this is an axle, carrier, or housing? BTW, all of the bearings in it are new.
Thanks in advance...:anon:

Preload?

What is the pinion bearing preload like - if this has loosened up you would get the said rumbling - other wise take the sucker to a frame and axle shop to have then check if the house is bent...

But my money would be on a wheel or pinion bearing being bad or not within the preload specs

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
What rear end is it? More than likely it is just a bent axle. The XJ you bought it from very likely was in a wreck & thats what bent it. Call the junk yard & see if he'll swap out axles with you & try it again.

Matt
It's an 8.25, 29-spline. I swapped it in because it had the 4:11s already there, and I got a Trackloc as a "bonus".:rolleyes:
I've been chasing this noise around for a few months now, so I doubt the salvage yard would do anything. If I have to buy a set of axles, that's a LOT better than swapping out the rear end again.
Thanks.

Some thoughts...
If you pull the axle shafts, set one on a pair of jackstands, and spin it you can usually be able to tell if it's bent or not.
Also, set the rearend on jackstands and remove the wheels and rear driveshaft. Spin the pinnion yoke by hand, it should feel smooth with no tight spots as you rotate it.

Jes

Jes said:
Some thoughts...
If you pull the axle shafts, set one on a pair of jackstands, and spin it you can usually be able to tell if it's bent or not.
Also, set the rearend on jackstands and remove the wheels and rear driveshaft. Spin the pinnion yoke by hand, it should feel smooth with no tight spots as you rotate it.

Jes
It DOES feel pretty smooth that way.:confused:
When I bought it, it had a bent backing plate on the driver's side that I had to replace. It was rubbing on the drum. That should've clued me in...:anon: :mad:

Definately sounds like a bent axleshaft. Do what Jes suggested. If you have anybody close to you with the same setup, see if you can use one of their axleshafts for a day. Somebody around you is bound to have a spare for road testing duties.

Sean

OneTonXJ said:
Definately sounds like a bent axleshaft. Do what Jes suggested. If you have anybody close to you with the same setup, see if you can use one of their axleshafts for a day. Somebody around you is bound to have a spare for road testing duties.

Sean
You'd think so, but there seems to be a lack of newer XJs around here that are modded in any way. It would have to be a '98 or newer to have the correct splines.
Thanks for the reply.:cool:

Back