• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tj flares vs xj flares

lobsterdmb

Just a Lobster Minion
NAXJA Member
how much wider are the tj flares than the xj flares becuase i need about an inch for tire coverage? I want to do 4 rear tj flares i think.

John

Alot. I think like 3inches. if you only need an inch you might wanna try 4 rear yj flares. they are only like an 1.5 to 2 inches wider.

The difference in width from my 90 XJ flairs to TJ flairs was about 1 inch. They are about 3" total width. I can give you an exact measurement latter tonight if you want.

Rev

I will post the exact width of my YJ flares later today also just so you have a comparison.

Michael

YJ flare width

The YJ flares that I have on my xj are 3.5" wide (both front and rear). They are stock YJ flares.

Michael

as a side-note... TJ SAHARA model flares are another 1" wider than the standard TJ flares.. i measured some yesterday..
mike

major bump on an old post.

I did all the searching and found some very good articles and pros/cons on the subject but im in need of a few answers.

heres the deal 88 XJ, 6" lift, 33/12.5/15, 4.5 BS.

my choices are:

Stock xj flares
bush wackoffs
rusty flex flares
and now TJ flares.

of all the choices, ive decided on TJ flares. one of the main reasons is the PO cut out the front fenders and stocks wont fit and im not sure if the BW would either.

DSC02250.jpg

Rustys is a close 2nd but i like the look of oem more. So with all that said, heres the questions.

will the stock TJ's be able to cover my setup or should i go with the 7" flares? price is about the same so its a matter of functionality. Below are the choices i plan on going with,

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=55254918K
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=55254918K7-6

last thing i would want is my flares to look like this...

reykjavik-cherokee.jpg

Those are 44's tucked under there btw so imagine how ridiculous some 33's would look =-p.

I also plan on putting a bumper down the road and im willing to chop that little corner piece in the front to make it fit with the TJ front opposed to doing all 4 rears.

Anyway, i thank yall in advance for any help with this subject. Peace be with you. Aloha.

:gee:

Stock TJ flares will be fine. I run them on 35"x12.5"s with 3.75" backspacing wheels, covers everything beautifully. TJ flares look great too IMO. Take your time, trim and mount them carefully, takes 2 or 3 hours. I used sheet metal screws and small fender washers, put a dab of silicone on each screw just prior to installation to keep water/corrosion out of the holes.

Oh, and that last pic looks ridiculous. Looks like he has stock axles under there too, nice. :dunce:

Stock TJ flares will be fine. I run them on 35"x12.5"s with 3.75" backspacing wheels, covers everything beautifully. TJ flares look great too IMO. Take your time, trim and mount them carefully, takes 2 or 3 hours. I used sheet metal screws and small fender washers, put a dab of silicone on each screw just prior to installation to keep water/corrosion out of the holes.

Right on. I plan on taking my time with it, kinda forced to so its a good thing. I like your fastening idea, sounds pretty secure. Thats the other reason Ive chosen the TJ, all of its hidden and you can use your own hardware. Speaking of which, do you think i could get the same results with rivets and fender washers? any down side to it?

Oh, and that last pic looks ridiculous. Looks like he has stock axles under there too, nice. :dunce:

now imagine if all that trim was in diamond plate... :wow:

I did TJ Rubicon in the front, and regular TJ in the back, all attached with 1/4-20 bolts and nuts. Make a jig out of cardboard with all the holes of the TJ flare on it, makes for a much easier fit.

Whats the differences? and did you use the rubicon "fronts" in the front or rubicon rears in th front?

Last edited:
I used YJ Flares and Stenciled them holding them up to the Fenders before I cut out the Fenders.

fthdg8.jpg

SANY0990.jpg

Back