• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 install problems

MuddyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to put a np231J in my 88 XJ which had the 231 AMC. I have run into to small delays but have taken care of swapping the input shaft and have it in but the linkage isn't lining up like the old one. Should I just swap linkage plates? Would this TC have different shift positions? From what the guy I bought the TC from he said all I would have to do is swap input shafts. TC came from a 95 TJ also if that matters.

TIA

IIRC the TJ uses a reverse pattern or something like that...

I believe you need to invert the tab that the linkage hooks to.

wait a second...

'95 TJ? which is correct there? '95 or TJ? (95 was YJ ;) )

I swapped in a 231 from a 97 TJ into my 96 XJ. It went right in, shift plate didn't need to be flipped or moved or whatever. Shifts fine. I can't see there being a difference in shift patterns between 231's, but this is jsut from my experiences. 95- are YJ's 97+ are TJ's. _nicko_

I can see there are many differences in the 231 J and the 231 AMC. The shifter plate is totally diferent and the vaccum connection is on the front half of the case on the 231 J and is on the tail housing on the AMC. I was just going to take the two cases apart and put the JB conversio on my old one but that wouldn't work. Looking at it this morning it seems that I will have to make a new linkage to make either shift plte work.
I also read an article on the net that you can not swap these two cases because the 231 J will hit the floor boards on an XJ. Mine sits fine with plenty of clearance. AT LEAST the vibes are gone now :)

I have a 231 from a yj and it does shift backwards, but I like it better. Just feels more comfortable going from 2low to 4 low all the way forward.

Back