• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Larger Alternator ??

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
Ive done tons of searches, and made lots of phone calls about upgrading my alt. I am looking for a alt that puts out at least 80amps at idle and in the 140 or more area at rpm. And I get the impression that I would be better doing this with the CS140 style alt in stead of my stock 130.

My question is, has anyone actually installed a CS140 style alt on their cherokee. Mine is a 89 and I do not mind making some fit mods to make it work, but any experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Honestly if you want moire than 30 or so amps at idle you need to go Mean Green (95-100 at idle)

There are plenty of folks out there doing high amp alternators, but they all have the same crappy @idle #'s.

Email me backchannell and I can get you the part numbers you would need.

These guys claim 80 amps at idle.

http://truckperformance.com/products/?productID=815228

It is listed as a Cherokee 4.0 application. I have read other similar "junkyard" alternators are available from late model Dodge trucks.

Anybody with any experience with these chime in. We're all interested.

edited: Yeah, that's the thread above! Thanks!

dennisuello said:

While a good thread for upping the MAX amps, it still retains the stock output at idle....

The Power master looks like it fits the bill as far as output though.

The Mean Green is more of a high end unit with double sealed bearing etc, but it's cool to have options! Unfortunately no one makes a '99 and up aside from MG.

*edit* Damn the powermasters are more than the Mean greens for the later XJ's damnnnnnn....

I am familar with Mean Green, and Powermaster. I do not want to afford a MG, the Power master is a decent swap 80idle, 140 at rpm for about $150. As a alternative I could rebuild or have mine rebuilt with similar specs (80 at idle and 140 at rpm) for about a $100 (little less if I do it my self) at a very reputable place that I trust and have had lots of starters and alt done.

However, I would prefer to fit the cs 140 with about 140idle and 180 at rpm for about the same money as the powermaster. I know where I can get them and I know that people have said that they fit. But I have yet to hear of anyone putting one in or doing a write up or anything.

I do not mind spending the money on the cs140 ($150-$170) but If I was to keep with the 130, I would prefer just have mine rebuilt and save the extra cash.

Michael

I keep telling you guys - find a local rebuilder. Failing that, hit me directly and I'll give you the addy for mine.

Prices are better than any major shop (usually) and you get to talk to the guy. Build a relationship, and parts and prices will both improve (I've been dealing with the same rebuilder for several years now, and he's willing to provide NAXJA member pricing since I talked to him last (most of my business with him now is from other people's vehicles - he did all my rewinds years ago, and they're just ducky!)

Let me know if you can't find a reliable local shop, and I'll turn you on to Rod.

5-90

5-90 said:
I keep telling you guys - find a local rebuilder. Failing that, hit me directly and I'll give you the addy for mine.

Prices are better than any major shop (usually) and you get to talk to the guy. Build a relationship, and parts and prices will both improve (I've been dealing with the same rebuilder for several years now, and he's willing to provide NAXJA member pricing since I talked to him last (most of my business with him now is from other people's vehicles - he did all my rewinds years ago, and they're just ducky!)

Let me know if you can't find a reliable local shop, and I'll turn you on to Rod.

5-90

5-90, that is really cool! I wish the local fellas around here would have been more open...as it was I developed a relationship with Paul at MEan Green and I'm very happy with them thus far, but they're in PA and I'm in NH!!

RJ

5-90. I totally agree!! I have a local guy that I have had excelent quality and service through in the past. And he can upgrade me to about 80/140 with my current cs130. And that is probably the way that I will go. Except that for a little more money I would prefer to upgrade to the larger cs140 unit. It is worth the money to me to go that way. I might even have him build it for me (without me having the core if price is reasonable). But I just want to know if anyone knows if it will fit without major modifications.

to be honest, I expect that the HO MG or Powermasters are probably the CS140 cases anyway (they are bigger than stock arn't they??).

Michael

2xtreme said:

to be honest, I expect that the HO MG or Powermasters are probably the CS140 cases anyway (they are bigger than stock arn't they??).

Michael

Do you have a pic of the CS case? I could check for you!

And just exactly do the rebuilders put in? I've had alt theory and repair, it seems to me lo RPM hi output would require either more excitation or more capture by larger field windings - ?

Off to study more. :confused:

I'd think they are re winding them (more or less turns etc...)

TOZOVR said:
Do you have a pic of the CS case? I could check for you!

This is the link to side top and front view comparisons of the cs130 and cs140alt's.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130d_cs144_trk_suv_upgrade.htm

When I talked to them about them fitting, he said maybe. I would need about 1" or a little more between the alt and the frame rail. Well, I have 1" (by my estimation) but I do not have any more room than that. From the looks of things, other than that extra room everything else should be a basic hook up (or very close).

I appreciate anyones insight or experience.

Michael

Back