• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking main rear seal

MinotJeep

NAXJA Forum User
The other day when changing my oil, I noticed a leak coming from what looks like the main rear seal. It is not a major leak, however. My question is this: Is this something I should immediately change, or can I wait until I have some more time/money/inclination to change the seal?

mines been leaking for about 10 years. parts are cheap, labor is expensive. just make sure its the rear main, other possibilities could be valve cover or oil filter adapter.

a leaking rear main isnt a big deal as long as you pay attention to your oil pressure and fill it when needed. mine leaked a quart a day for 5 months before i got it fixed. cost me 450 bucks. 50 of that was the seal and the rest was labor.

recently i was under my xj and thought the rms had finally lost it. it was leaking at a pretty good rate. then my mechanic looked about it and said "yeah it's leaking a little, but most of your oil's coming from there". the valve cover gasket was hosed. we replaced it and bingo very, very little leak now from the rms, much better oil pressure (though this one has me stumped) and i'm not going though any appreciable amount of oil. hurray.
-tom

Back