• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need longer bump stops?

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I finally got around to the rear of my RE 4.5 Superflex and am moving on to the front. The kit came with 2" front bump stops for the spring perch, and I am wondering if I should use them. I am only running 31's, and may not move up to 32s for some time, if at all. It seems to me that even at full compression I won't have any rubbing issues without the longer stops.
Oh, and I have 4.5" backspacing which helps also. Just looking for some advice. I would hate to end up having to do a reinstall!

Thanks for any input.
T

I'd go ahead and put them in. Ideally you want your bumpstops to hit before your shocks bottom out so you don't damage your shocks. Without any added bumpstops up front, your new front shocks will bottom out before the factory stops hit.

Considering that a 235 is the largest tire you can run w/o getting rubbing at full compression -- you need the bump stop extensions. You also want to be sure you don't top out your new, longer shocks. The shocks are not designed to be bump stops.

Thanks guys

I was leaning that way, but wanted to be sure. I'm still mulling over which RS 9000s to get, as for best length/valving.
T

Back