• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust recomendations?

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, My exhaust from the catylist back on my '90 4.0 is junk. Any suggestions on what system I should get? Also is there a cheap aftermarket header with a better flow rating?

Thanks

Most people here would suggest borla. I say borla or gibson is usually the best but there are some who have had better luck with others.

i've got rusty's cat-back kit with a flowmaster and am quite happy with it. plus, it wasn't near as expensive as some of the other kits.

i run rustys kit too. i found after i installed it that i could have gone to the local exhaust shop and gotten the same flowmaster and everything that comes with his cat back plus installation for the same price. ive been happy with mine though so i dont really care. btw the flowmaster makes a nice skid plate for itself, not sure if other mufflers could stand the abuse that a flowmaster does.

Hunter

I have designed a new wheeler muffler that we will be welding up to test this next month it willl be rectangular with same style baffles as flowmaster has. shorter. with expanded end on input side and crimped outlet side, you should be able to jack the jeep up from this one :D

I had a local shop do mine for the same reasons that Hunter did.
They installed it on a lift during my lunch hour.

Welded and custom bent to avoid the spring shackle I was having clearance problems with.

Flowmaster 40
Catco Cat
2.5 pipe

A little over 200 dollars

Ended up being cheaper than anything I could order- not even factoring in my labor if I'd done all the crawling and cursing.

And no chrome tip!

Ive rested the entire jeep on a dynomax ultraflo race. The race models are thick and welded, most of their other models are standard sheetmetal types.

Banks torque tube.

I run a Banks Torque Tube header and flowmaster cat back. I like it alot. Header's a little pricey though, but pretty much bullet proof.

Re: muffler

Frog975 said:
$15 Cherry Bomb ( PEPBOYS), and $40 worth of pipe (muffler shop) and your in there.

I got my Cherry Bomb for $20 at pepboys and my pipe and clamps from napa for $13 (although I get a discount at napa) which equals $33 for mine :D

Cool, I'll look into it thanks, I have some extra money coming from my college loan soon

Re: Re: muffler

lobsterdmb said:
I got my Cherry Bomb for $20 at pepboys and my pipe and clamps from napa for $13 (although I get a discount at napa) which equals $33 for mine :D
I was thinking about doing the same thing today .... but how does it sound compared to say a flowmaster?

if ya ask me, nothin sounds like a Flowmaster, certainly not a glasspack....

Flowmaster gives a nice deep throaty hallow sound, and with a nice cackle if you 86 the tail pipe and just put a turndown.

Like the other guys said too... Flowmasters are tuff.

There is no other.:laugh:

www.jegs.com has dynomax cat backs for 85$, and if you time it right, you can find a 25$ coupon in hotrod mags (4wheeler too?) and it makes it 60$, damn good deal if you ask me. Good quality too.

So flowmaster is that much better huh? Well I have in sitting in my garage I had on my old Bronco so it's slightly used. Only thing is it's 2.5" pipes.... So if I go to get adapters for it, and cut my stock muffler off at the rear, what size Adapters would I need to match the factory pipes? 2.25 OD?

SO better to put on a flowmaster that has some miles on it or a new cherry bomb?

I just put on a flowtech afterburner. They are built like a tank (fully wellded heavy guage steel) and are 39.95 from summit racing.
Got a walker tailpipe at the parts store for $20, a straight piece of pipe flared to 2.25ID on one end for $5, two clamps $5, for a grand total of $70. That is less than a flowmaster by itself costs.

The flowtech sounds pretty much the same as a flowmaster but has no resonance problems at all.

Well I got my flowmaster on today .... 40 series .... kinda sounds a little ricey:eek:

I really wanted a low rumble & not a street racer fart can sound...

Suggestions

hmm... well do you have a headder and a race cat? Mine is low toned... maybe its the MSD.
I donno... I never ment for ya to end up with a rice burner sound...

I like how mine sounds...
did you put a tailpipe?

It's all stock minus the flowmaster .....

A few people have told me that the sound will change once it breaks in so I'm gonna give it a little time & see what happens...

I just got a Ravin put on at Midas yesterday... cat back.. right at 2 bills... The reason I like Midas is.. well.. they're cheap and they use aluminumized pipe.. (i don't want to pay for stainless)....

On my previous TJ.. it sounded pretty darn good.... on the XJ... you can't even really hear it... the Swampers kinda drown it out... but it does have more spunk so it was worth it...

I don't know.. but six cylinders just never sound sexy... Wheeled with a WJ with Flowmasters and DAMN... I got out to spot him while struggling on a log.... I heard a Vette but was lookin at a Jeep... It was awesome!

Back