• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case chain?

LJRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Went to Hollister yesterday. When I turned in for low 4wd. I feel noise like click in every 1-2 seconds. It was difficult for me to know where it came from because I am Deaf. When I turned it back to 2 wheel, it was smooth ride. Do you think it is chain? If so, do you know what brand is better? Thanks!

Any help??

Will noise from front u joints disappeared when I changed from lo 4wd to 2 wheel? If so, then it is possibly u-joints.

Worn front axle U-joints will clack when worn. Sometimes in 2 wheel and often cause a high speed vibration (like unbalanced tires). The clacking gets worse in 4X and during sharp turns.
I often inspect my front axle U-joints, jack up the front end, with a flashlight, get real close, to the rubber ring around the bearing cap, turn the tire a little, look close you can see the play. I sometimes jam a screwdriver in the yoke to get a little more leverage. The play is easier to see, when the wheel is turned out, some. You can often see the play and replace the U-joint before they start to clackity clack.
A circle of rust dust, around the rubber bearing cap seal is a tip off, of a dry bearing.

Does it do it all the time or under load, i.e. climbing a rock or tree? I had this issue with the chain jumping teeth on a case while off roading, and had front under load. Bought jeep that way and didn't know until first off road trip 3 months after purchase. If you have a buddy that can hear, have them drive with you around town and see if they hear something that sounds like metal being draged across metal below the shifter. If they hear it, then the chain is streatched out and draging on the bottom of the case.

M. Lake said:
If you have a buddy that can hear, have them drive with you around town and see if they hear something that sounds like metal being draged across metal below the shifter. If they hear it, then the chain is streatched out and draging on the bottom of the case.

Simpler than that, keep the rig in 2WD and jack up the front end...then with one hand he can turn the front shaft back and forth, with the other he can feel the bottom of the t-case whether the chain is slapping the bottom of it. If the chain is stretched it will droop enough to slap on the case. ;)

Silly me :D what was I thinking?

:D Many thanks for tips. I am going to work thru my XJ after hunting this weekend! ;)

Back