• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing axle and wheel backspacing

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to swap-in my 8.8" Exploder axle and know it's ~1-1/4" narrower than my D35. I can either spend $100 for MORE's spacers (3 week backorder) OR get new wheels with less backspacing. I presently have Canyon rims (5 x 4.5") and 31 x 10.5 x 15" tires on a 3" OME lift. It wouldn't bother me if my tires came outwards another 1/2", I just need to go from ~5.25" BS to 4.75" or 4.5" BS.
I also think that the change in BackSpace will keep my tires from rubbing on my LCAs during full wheel turns.
Does anybody know if I'll start rubbing on outer edge of fender well?
Thanx,
BLUTO :)

Not sure of the rubbing issues but if you do decide to get new wheels and want to sell yours I might be interested.

BLUTO said:
I'm getting ready to swap-in my 8.8" Exploder axle and know it's ~1-1/4" narrower than my D35. I can either spend $100 for MORE's spacers (3 week backorder) OR get new wheels with less backspacing. I presently have Canyon rims (5 x 4.5") and 31 x 10.5 x 15" tires on a 3" OME lift. It wouldn't bother me if my tires came outwards another 1/2", I just need to go from ~5.25" BS to 4.75" or 4.5" BS.
I also think that the change in BackSpace will keep my tires from rubbing on my LCAs during full wheel turns.
Does anybody know if I'll start rubbing on outer edge of fender well?
Thanx,

You'll be fine with either backspacing...4.75" or 4.5".

A no brainer. :)

Also keep in mind that you're not limited to using MORE's wheel spacers with your swap. Check out Spider Trax www.spidertrax.com as well as rockbuggysupply.com for 5x.4.5 wheel spacers. That way you can keep the nice Canyons and have the width too.

wheel spacing

Thanks MountaineerMac,
I went to the websites that you suggested, the backspacers seemed like well-built units...just a little too much backspacing. Theirs were 1.5" to 2" offset, whereas 3/4" to 1" would get me by. I may stick with MORE's OR look for a new set of rims (if they can't deliver in a timely fashion).

Back