• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91XJ project

raceready

NAXJA Forum User
rusted out 91xj, hit in the front and rear:
fa8f9de4.jpg
fa8f9dfd.jpg
fa8f9e15.jpg
fa8f9e32.jpg

cut out the rotten rockers and replaced them with 2x6x3/16 rect steel

I made custom coil spacers 3.5" and put in zj v8 non uc coils
fa8f9bd3.jpg

used the middle 2 leaves from a 95 s10 pickup, only kept the top and bottom leaves from the original pack

wound up with at least 4in of lift

the ride is firmer than before but about the same as my 97xj UC

I put the drivers side front tire on a hoist and lifted it untill the drivers side rear tire lifted off the ground, at full articulation, the front tire is almost ready to lift off as well, it seems pretty balanced front to rear.

put on 97 up flares and cut off the bottom of the fenders,

working on desiging and building a front and rear bumper and a rack.

I'm pretty sure I have spent more in tools on this than I have on parts...LOL

I'll make a drawing to show you how it is made, the main body is 3.5in pipe, there is a large washer beneath it. the unique part of it you can't see, there is a sleeve welded in the bottom that I turned down to fit the inside of the pipe, then I turned the washer to the OD of that tube, I left about 3/8 of an inch sticking out of the pipe past the washer which I tapered to fit the inside of the rubber spacer. I have never seen a coil spacer that is designed so that it can not shift and possibly come in contact with the tube that holds the bumpstop and allow the top of the spring to shift about.

Back