• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV231-NV242 T-case swap...

EljayK004

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Cheokee Sport 4.0L Automatic and was wondering if I wanted to swap in a NV242 instead of my 231 what it would all entail. Are there ANY otherpart that would have to be swapped out??

Thanx in advance
Johnny K

I just thought it would be nice to have the extra option for when the roads are just getting bad but part time is overkill. So, the driveshaft length changes? Is it enough so that I'd need anothr one or is there enough slack the one I have stock?

I believe Scott Mac did this same swap...(he's from your neck of the woods)

I went the other way...swapped out a faulty 242 for a 231. I used the same rear driveshaft, but I 'think' I used the front that came with the 231

To keep it simple, find a transfer case from a similar year...really old ones had 21 spline inputs, but changed to 23 spline in 90+-(?) Also your new one will have an electronic speed sensor 'wire' on the tail...the older ones had a mechanical speedometer cable

The 4wd shifter bezel, also the long shift rod without the adjuster is different. Bezel PN: 5EL86LAZAB, Rod PN:53004943 auto trans only. Chris.

all the police edition XJ's had the 242 in them also, their's is slightly different than a regular 242, i think i'st just rated for higher speed, but is the same exact thing.

I had to switch out my 242 about 2 months ago for another one. i streached the chain out and need to rebuild the old one now. It's not a thing to do, remove driver shafts, remove shift linkage, un-pluge speedo device, crossmember, isolater, remove case from trans, and slide it out, then just reverse.

I picked up a salvaged 1997 NV-242 for $400.

when do you think you would be getting this going??? i have a 242 that should only need a new chain in it. havn't opened it yet. if your interested let me know

Back