• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearings

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of weeks ago I had the driver's side front wheel bearing and rear axle seal replaced (all under warrantee). Now it sounds like the passenger side is going out. I know that creek crossings, mud holes, etc. are probably to blame but what can I do about it? (Not wheeling is not an acceptable option :D )

I don't want to have to keep replacing wheel bearings as my warrantee expires soon and the things are expensive - the front ones which require replacing the whole assemble. Is there some preventive maintenance that I can do?

Your front wheel bearings are sealed, and mud and water shouldn't hurt them. Big tires and off-roading does however stress them a little. Always make sure you torque on your spindle nut, because that supplies the preload to hold it together.

If you do alot of mud(not mud puddles) and water, you need to be vigilant about greasing the front-end and driveshafts after every ride. Axles seals on the front-end can leak, buy getting to much sand in the front tube, and actually lifting the axle causing a leak. Sometimes all you have to do it wet-vac the sand out of tubes.

As for the rear seals, it may have been their time. On my Ford8.8 I though the seal was wasted because it was leaking. Once I took it apart (C-Clip/LockRight PITA), I found the tube was over half filled with gear oil.

Bottom line is, if you are going to do hard-core trails, you are going to have to work on this stuff yourself. BTW: AutoZone sells Timken wheel-bearings with lifetime warrantee.

The tires are only 235/75-15's. I do get it out in the dirt every couple of weeks but I certainly would not consider any rides I've gone on as hardcore (after all, it still has a stock suspension LOL)

It seems strange to me that both the front wheel bearings have gone bad before the vehicle has 75K miles... It is well maintained and not beat hard on the trail. I try to keep everything well lubed and change the fluids regularly. Most all of the trails I ride do have a lot of water on them so that was the only thing I could think of that might be wearing out bearings and axle seals.

-Brian

BTW: Anything not covered by warrentee I do myself but if someone else is buying then I don't complain. :)

After learning my lesson on my Dodge and YJ, I religiously clean all the seals under my XJ, with a high pressure cleaner often. A little oil seepage and dirt/sand acts just like grinding compund. I also clean the caliper/rotors and pull the drums and clean the sand out periodically.
On my YJ, the last time I pulled the shafts, I found the open space near the bearing, full of rusty water. I filled the space with grease, figuring the grease might slow down the water seeping in. Haven´t checked the results yet.
On various vehicles over the years, I´ve found bearings and joints, that have never seen grease. Manufacturing oversight.

Back