• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm NOOB...Lift shackle or AAL?????

soulslngr

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just got my first Jeep a few weeks ago...an 88 Jeep Cherokee Limited....and I want to moderately lift it but cannot absolutely decide on whether to use the longer shackle method or an AAL kit??? I have searched and read pros and cons for both...what are you guys and gals runnin and do you like it??? me and ma'Jeep thank you for any help/info!

soulslngr said:
Hey guys I just got my first Jeep a few weeks ago...an 88 Jeep Cherokee Limited....and I want to moderately lift it but cannot absolutely decide on whether to use the longer shackle method or an AAL kit??? I have searched and read pros and cons for both...what are you guys and gals runnin and do you like it??? me and ma'Jeep thank you for any help/info!

Well my decision (longer shackle) was based on the fact that a) my XJ only had 64K miles on it and b) I intended to lift it higher within 2 years of the BB (still do). c) the added flex it gives d) the fact that I can incorporate that shackle into my next lift

It really depends on what you intend to do with it. Just for the record, most people usually go with the AAL.

Good Luck!

Steve

First off, welcome to the group! You're gonna love your XJ.

I did the shackle/coil spacer BB about 6 months ago and love it. The ride stayed the same if not a bit more comfy. I also removed the rear anti-sway bar and rigged disconnects for the front. I'd go w/ the shackle due to the fact that it should offer you a bit more flex and be usable if you want to go higher.

Hey, I've got a 3" Add a leaf (AAL) that you can have if you want it. Brand new, installed never drove removed for new spring pack. Email me @ [email protected] free you pay shipping.
Mark

Re: Re: I'm NOOB...Lift shackle or AAL?????

ThePhantum said:
d) the fact that I can incorporate that shackle into my next lift
Steve

exactly, I had a shackel on my XJ sinse the first lift, now at 11" I still have the same shackel.

I have Rustys and I really like it.

Dan

BTW, welcome.

The longer shackle i installed was part of a Daystar kit. I had to chop of part of the tail pipe to stop it from rubbing. Also, the shackle hit one of the bolts holding the bumper on, so i took out the bolt on each side. Since i have the stock bumper, I figure it will never have to support any weight so it didn't matter.

I went w/ the shackle because I have a 2000 and didn't want to get any vibes.

They're both good. An AAL will stiffen it up a little bit, which I like because I like to be able to corner fast with it, the shackle will give you a bit more flex. Whichever one you put on, you can add the other later to go higher. I have both right now, a full-length Skyjacker AAL and a warrior shackle that I cut down just a little so that it drops it lower than stock and doesn't hit the shackle box where the stock one does, but it's not long enough to hit the exhaust pipe now.

vibes with boost?

I also forgot to ask...I have heard that with an older XJ like mine (88) you can go up to 3" lift without getting driveline vibes. What can anyone tell me about this also? Am I getting myself into bad waters? Thanks again.......and I already love my JEEP! just would like to love it a little taller and meaner ;)

Unless the rear leafs were spent, I'd go with the spacer/shackle BB, (plus lose the rear swaybar/add QD links up front and strasighten out the front 'hard' brakeline & remount.)

From there it's an "easy" jump into 32-33" territory with a set of 3" springs, adjustable track bar, longer shocks & YJ brakelines.

I took my MJ from 3" to 4.75" with a spacer, kept the OEM control arms (maxed on caster shims) and had no vibes from the front.

YMMV on vibes.

Re: vibes with boost?

soulslngr said:
I also forgot to ask...I have heard that with an older XJ like mine (88) you can go up to 3" lift without getting driveline vibes. What can anyone tell me about this also? Am I getting myself into bad waters? Thanks again.......and I already love my JEEP! just would like to love it a little taller and meaner ;)

not true.

now the 97 and newer have vibe possabilities with 3" but not the earlier ones.

Start putting PB Blaster on your bolts now, and everycouple days, you'll be happy you did

Re: Re: vibes with boost?

Fore Wheeler said:
Start putting PB Blaster on your bolts now, and everycouple days, you'll be happy you did

Preach on, brother. Also when I took everything apart I put it all back together with antiseize. Every time since then it's been a BREEZE to remove the nuts and bolts. :)

As for the shackle being around pretty much forever, it's almost as if it's a sentimental thing. I've had my shackle in place for 5 years and have seen 4 different spring packs with it. :) Same with my 2" poly spacers up front...they've been there since the same day the shackles went in. :)

Re: Re: Re: vibes with boost?

ECKSJAY said:
As for the shackle being around pretty much forever, it's almost as if it's a sentimental thing. I've had my shackle in place for 5 years and have seen 4 different spring packs with it. :) Same with my 2" poly spacers up front...they've been there since the same day the shackles went in. :)
Tell me about it I have been looking for used shackes for years and still can't find any!

Back