• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding spacers and shackles

willysnut

NAXJA Forum User
I have 3" (more like 2.5") of lift and am looking to get bigger tires under my xj for cheap. I was considering adding 1.5 shackles and spacers but was wondering if I would need a trackbar and lower control arms (i am still running stock ones).

they are recomended, but im sittin 4.5 inches and have stock trac bar and control arms with no problems on or off road....i do however have control arm drop berackets....

Personally, when I go above my current 3" level I plan to get arms and a track-bar, that's kinda the barrier in my eye. Already at 3" I have a little bit of bump-steer, that's only going to get worse the higher you go on a stock track bar. I would suggest getting a good set of adjustable arms and an adjustable track bar, that way if you end up lifting up higher in the future you can get everything back in order without having to buy new stuff...

Sequoia

I agree that new Lower arms and TB would be optimum. However, it can be done without.

I had stock TB, All 4 control arms, and steering at 4.5" of lift and it did have a small amount of bumpsteer, but nothing too bad (this is not my DD though). I now have an adj TB and custom cross over steering and it drives good. I plan on replacing the control arms when I go up to 6". I think they are needed for strength more than angles at 4.5".

Just my experience and suggestions.
Michael

Back