• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper/ airtank

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of fabricating a Rear bumper that has a built in Air tank. I did a search and only found post on this issue so i still have a few questions. I am planning on building it out of 3x5 1/8" steel tubing. if i can fill it to 150 PSI would i even be able to fill one 31" tire from 10 PSI to 30PSI? My guess is that even with such a setup i have to have an additional pump to quickly refill air back into the tank. So if the Compressor can fill the tank up at a fast rate whats even the purpose of a Tank? I may have just answered my own question but i wanted to hear from you guys as to whether i am right. Also what small hardware as far a plumbing is needed to get this done. Thanks

I have a 2x6 steel tube bumper and a tire carrier made from 2x4 steel. They are connected together for added capacity. I do not run the pressure to 150 I only run it to 105psi. Mine will definitley not fill even 1 tire from 10 psi to 30 from just from the tank. I have a Quick Air 2 compressor that runs to the bumper. I have the air tank for a couple of reasons.

First, I have ARB lockers. Because of the air tank the compressor need not run most of the time when using the ARB's (with the exception that I have leaks in my fittings so it runs once and a while anyway). Also, I can run air tools for short bursts if needed. Finally when filling tires I can fill the tire till the compressor starts, stop filling until it stops and start again, theoretically giving it a break in between. Only problem is it doesn't take but a few seconds to kick back on so it's really a moot point. You are correct though that for only filling tires there may not be much point. But I believe if you have a pump, adding a tank makes it more usefull.

One other thing. When I'm not wheeling I turn off my compressor and empty the tank. I also put a over pressure blow off in the tank. This is so that if I'm ever in an accident the tank cannot rupture from the impact and pressure and cause shrapnal to kill some one. Because I made it myself I wanted to make sure I wouldn't unduely hurt anyone.

HTH,
B-loose

I built my front bumper recently and sealed it to be a airtank also. It is made of 3x6 rectangular tube 3/16 thick. It holds about 4 gal of air. I converted my A/C to be a air pump and on it's own (without the tank) I can pump up my 33" tires from 15 psi to 32 psi in a matter of a couple of minutes. With the airtank I will be able to run air tools and it will be easier to re-seat a tire. My plan is to build a rear bumper that is a air tank also, and I think it will hold about 7 gal of air (wraped around the back, I cut my rear quarters). I think it is well worth it. However, I still think you need a compressor.

Michael

what if i filled up to 500PSI

What if i had the abitlity to fill up the tank to 500PSI. would 1/8 safetly hold this. WOuld 500 PSI in a 3x8 inch tank be able to fill 4 tires? Thanks

The amount of air that you add to a small tank (5 - 10 gal) by going from say 150psi up to even 1000psi is insignificant (for filling 4 31" tires.

Anything over 150 lbs is unsafe for a vehicle (no matter what container and how thick) and the increase in volume of air is insignificant for general use.

use 3/16th for the bumper and 1/4 minimum for the mounts. fill it with up to 150psi of air, and get a compresser to do so.

You will be set.

Michael

Re: what if i filled up to 500PSI

[email][email protected][/email] said:
What if i had the abitlity to fill up the tank to 500PSI. would 1/8 safetly hold this. WOuld 500 PSI in a 3x8 inch tank be able to fill 4 tires? Thanks
I don't know if you could find a pressure switch easily to handle that pressure. My bumper is 2 pieces of 11 gauge 3x3 box and my switch kicks off at 105 psi. Safety pop off is at 115 psi. I have a little over 6 gallons and it won't fill a tire with out cycling.
HTH,
KY Chris

This is my air tank. The tank portion is 4x4x1/8" and is 3.2 gallons.

r11.jpg

I've got an ARB compressor that will fill it to around 100psi.

The game is... fill the tank... walk over to the tire... fill it up from 15psi to 35psi... Goes fine.. but the compressor is screaming and the tank is empty...

Shoot the breeze for a few minutes while the tank refills.... Inflate another tire... shoot the breeze... repeat...

Moral... If you've got time to kill and don't want to spend it holding a nozzle on a tire... this works fine... If you're impatient... get a York or something else that will keep up.

Last edited:
rob, that is a really nice lookin bumper there! thumbs up on the finish.

if any of you get a chance to see bob looses' rig in person, chec out his rear bumper....

quality.

Back