• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some quick help please! fuel cell/exhaust proximity

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
is there a safe distance to keep an exhaust pipe away from the side of a fuel cell?

this is toward the rear, so the exhaust is cooler, its totally open (not on a standard cherokee)

I wanna run that supertrap in the rear, and the exhaust pipe wants to run aqround 4-5 inches away from the side of the fuel cell.

I can use exhaust tape if necessary.

are there rules to this?

typing ewith weld..i-ing gglkoves awwnn

I would contact the manufacturer and find out what the maximum temp the bladder can handle.Other than that,what about installing a heat shield between them!

I think 4" to 5" is fine. Can you feel any heat from the exhaust with your hand 4"-5" away from the side of the pipe?

If you want to be extra safe, you could put a sheet metal heat shield either around the pipe or on the side of the tank exposed to the pipe.

I can't think of anything more scientific to give you. If you've got an IR thermometer, you could get some temps on the tank and the pipe to confirm things.

no bladder, just foam.

naw, c-rok, I remember bein able to put my hand over the back of it, almost right ON the thing when I was playing with backpressure tuning....

so I guess you are right, I cannot feel any heat with my hand if I hold it 4 inches away.

RCP-see-oh, I'll probably do your suggestion as well.

getting ready for a weekend of wheelin, and I'm tryin to abbreviate things just a bit

Beezil,I measured mine(factory),3" between the "plastic" tank and the exhaust pipe,there used to be a aluminum shield in between.That got replaced by my OEM skid which does the same thing.

not trying to hyjack your thread or anyhting, but i have seen alot of people puttin super trap exhausts on there 4x4's is there any reason to this? arent they loud as hell?

i have one on my 300ex and it's super loud and i didnt notice a gain in performance...

you mean like this, the super trap is no louder than a flowmaster 40 and can be adjusted by adding and subtracting plates to add torque and HP, and they are forest service approved spark arrester
picture.JPG

the stock set up wraps around the end of the tank about 3" away, you should be fine.

B,

Just weld that pipe right to it. It won't hurt a thing. :D

Maybe you could run the exhuast right down the fill pipe and let it bubble up. Now that would be a cool affect. :D

hinkley

Back