• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rain gutters

buster

NAXJA Forum User
I have an aftermarket roof rack thats gutter mount. The problem is the trim is coming off. What do I use to reattach it?

Use an adhesive recommended for auto body trim attachment.

There are several types of adhesives available for attaching body trim. They are available at most auto parts shops that carry auto body repair items like paint, etc.

If you really want your gutter trim, spend the extra money on some decent automotive trim adhesive. I went with some cheap stuff (non automotive) after snagging my rain gutter trim on a limb. Needless to say the second time the trim was snagged I did'nt want to take the time to remove the old adhesive to reapply, so I just ripped both trim pieces off and remounted the gutter mounted rack.

It's an older jeep, I do'nt need no stinkin trim ;) Good luck

Not to steal the thread, but its right on topic, I don't really care for the Chrome gutter trim on my '89 xj, If I were to take it off, how nice are the rails beneath? Like is it something that is unfinished and raw looking, or is it a nice finished edge? I don't wanna pull them off just to find out it looks like crap..

That trim is there to make things look pretty. When off, it's merely a pinch seam similar to that of the underside one, it's not that pretty.

Teron

As mentioned, the trim is to make things look pretty. My XJ is an '88, so I'm going more for practicallity and usefulness, rather than looks. The pinch seam on the rain gutters are'nt an eye soar on my older XJ. The paint coverage was also decent, to where I was'nt concerned with rust.

Keep in mind I live in the desert, so rust is'nt a big concern. However if I had a newer model with nice paint, no dents or dings, I would want the gutter trim.

Is adhesive the oe mounting method?

I need to take my trim off without damaging the trim.
How?

I've tried plain-old yanking(of the trim), but that doesn't seem to be a non-destructive method. Are there clips?

Yes, I believe there are about 4-5 one inch metal clips that attach the "drip rail". I know because a car wash took out one side on my Jeep. Stand above your roof and look down into the rail and you should see them.

Back