• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

determined to make it myself! (AKA-CHEAP!)

djmilo

NAXJA Forum User
i wanna make a OEM type trac bar adjustable by cutting it somewhere and threading the rod and throwing a coupler type dealie on it... i searched to see if it had been done but found nothing....

so where can i get a coupler? where should i make the cut? i know ive seen them sold like this, but ive never seen just the coupler things by themselves....

any input would be great

thanx,
CAT

Get your verneers out and start measuring tie rod/ drag link thicknesses. Find one that matches the trac bar and then figure out how to thread it. Of course buying a die that large is going to cost some bucks, figuring out the correct sleeve is going to take some serious time, and buying the sleeve is going to cost a little. You might get lucky and find something really quickly though.

Sean

I looked into doing that. I believe a piece of 1" Id DOM could be slid over the trac bar and welded and then a threaded bung welded into it. I thought that would probably be the easiest way to do it safely. I also thought about doing it with a left and right hand thread so I could adjust it without disco'ing it.

Good Luck,
JJ

I thought about doing a similar thing also. Making my stock trackbar adjustable and putting a new Heim on the end instead of the TRE.

I would not use a coupler (less parts equals stronger). I would weld a bung on the end and use a Heim joint on the frame end. better yet, sleave the strait section of stock TB with larger tube and put the bung on the end and use a Heim joint on the frame end.

I do not see any reason it could not be done. And I might still consider doing it when I build my next TB.

Michael

djmilo said:
i wanna make a OEM type trac bar adjustable by cutting it somewhere and threading the rod and throwing a coupler type dealie on it... i searched to see if it had been done but found nothing....

so where can i get a coupler? where should i make the cut? i know ive seen them sold like this, but ive never seen just the coupler things by themselves....

any input would be great

thanx,
CAT

Check out a tera bar.

mark

I've run my Tera trac-bar for 3 years now and the only thing that is junk on it is the rubber boot that covers the TRE, the rest has been solid, and I love being able to adjust the length without disconnecting either end of the bar.

TRE style trackbars are marginally ok up to about 4" lift depending on how well your rig flexes.After that go with the RE Extreme duty trackbar and bracket!

thanx for the input guys... i think one ton was closest, as i dont have acces to a welder or bender to make one that "custom"...

i dont think that finding the correct measurment will be too difficult... i think im gonna go to the parts store and see if i can find something that would werk...maybe a steering coupler from a fullsize chevy PU... i belive they have a coupler that is of sufficient size and strenght to use on my little XJ tracbar.... i just dont have money to spend on material, i even got a OEM tracbar free for this project...

one ton... you were on the right track (no pun intended) w/ buying a die and a sleeve...i just have no idea where to find something like this...i can get the die, but am stumped when it comes to the coupler sleeve itself and all the other harware, etc.

anyway, thanx again
CAT

There was a co. with the same product as your idea. You cut the anti-sway bar in half, welded a coupler into the center. The coupler had a male and female side that locked together with a pin. Pull the pin and the two halves would offer no tortional resistance. I think it would be quite simple to do, just need to find the right ID/OD tubing to suit your needs.

Back