• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TeraFlex Disc brake kit

Bones

NAXJA Forum User
Well since someone sold the ZJ disc stuff out from under me, I need to come up with an alternative. I have been looking at Tera's set up but had some Q's on it.
234.jpg

First, Is terra's disc brake kit their own design or is it a re-boxed / re-badged kit of another company like SSB?

Has anyone used it?
I'm guessing it can be set up to work with the D44 but it's not listed on Terra's web site. Can anyone confirm this?
I can't find it listed on any of their dealer's web sites, can anyone give me a clue on how much it runs?

Thanks,
Bones :skull1:

I installed the Tera kit on my D44 a month ago. It appears to be a combination of Grand Cherokee and Explorer components. I believe the same OEM manufacturer produces the rear brakes for the two vehicles. My backing plates were stamped with Jeep, but my calipers were Explorer.

The backing plates needed to be drilled out to match the bolt pattern of the D44 axle tube flange. I paid $310 for my kit, minus emergency brake cables.

$310 is an awsome deal (still more than the CV ones I bought for $30)

The calipers/prk brake hardware and pads should all interchange from ZJ to Ford. The hub on the jeeps is a hair larger so the hub opening on th ford would need to be clearanced a hair.

i just got Rubi calipers and ZJ discs on my rear D44. i did not change anything in the prop. valve, and the performance is WAY better than stock drums. The vehicle is an '88 with the small MC and it came stock with the tiny D35 drums.

I'll keep things the way they are until i get SS lines, then ill take out the little rubber o-ring in the prop. valve to see what that does.

peace

I haven't replaced the proportioning valve as of yet. I wanted to try it through the winter and tear out all of my ABS plumbing that is under the hood and replace the prop. valve at that time.

The Jeep seems to stop more confidently than before, this was after I removed all the stainless steel brakelines from the equation as well. Of course, it has fresh brake fluid and has been completely bled, so there isn't any way I can account for what impact that may have on the braking strength.

MGrobe said:
I installed the Tera kit on my D44 a month ago....
I paid $310 for my kit, minus emergency brake cables.

MGrobe,
Where did you buy yours? I can't seem to find a TeraFlex dealer that lists the kit on a web site.

Thanks,

Contacted dc4wd, great prices compared to others on the Terra kit. In fact better than all but one salvage yard I have contacted through the net. On D----A-- at a JY wanted $650 for a set of ZJ brakes out of a salvage Jeep!

Anyway, I had just one more Q of you MGrobe.

Do you have to enlarge the TeraFlex disc bracket's axle opening for the D44 aplication as you would for the ZJ brake swap?

Thanks,

I ordered the cables through DC as well, but I hadn't noticed that my 98 has the emergency brake cable braket on the left hand side of the vehicle and not the center. So I was only able to use one of the cables. But if you have an older body style XJ then it probably is in the center and I think the cables would work, but I can't speak with great accuracy on that.

Just wanted to share what I ended up doing with my cables. I didn't want to wrap the cable around the lever with a clamp bolt, so I ordered those Ford Explorer ebrake clevises by Lokar.

ebrake1.jpg

I think the cables are too long as is (I have the 97+ cables where they run down the driver side), but the clevises made them even longer, so I ran out of adjustment and couldn't get the ebrakes on tight. Afraid of not passing inspections, I got the whole Lokar cable kit with the clevises. The cables are all cut to fit, which is nice, but the setup isn't too "heavy duty". They use 2 set screws to clamp each cable in a machined brass block. I kept the cables long incase I need to make adjustments and didn't use their chasis mounts since I just kept the stock ebrake cable box. They're working well so far and pretty cheap, $80 for the whole kit. They even have the kit with a stainless braided housing for $120 or so.

ebrake2.jpg

ebrake3.jpg

Anyone need stock cables? I'll let them go for cheap.

ebrake4.jpg

Last edited:
Back