• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carbon Fiber Brake pads

Dunno - why for?

I have seen some outfits marketing ceramic racing pads (which will likely be cleaner) and there is a newish "Titanium" brake pad going around, but I'm not entirely certain of the guiding principle of either. What are you trying to accomplish?

If you are looking for lower temperatures, you may want to think drilled or milled rotors. If you are looking for cleaner wheels - keep looking. I haven't met a disc brake pad yet that will keep wheels clean - but I'd not mind hearing of one, just for my own information...

5-90

I'm getting slotted rotors. The carbon fiber pads from what I have read wear extremly well and have good bite. The cermaic ones from what I have found suck.

Actually I'm just looking for a place that carries them to check prices, ect.

Howcumzit no-one tells me about these things?

Check their site - www.kvrperformance.com. Looks like they're a Canadian outfit (they have two portals - Canada and US/World) and you are looking for P/N M7122 - $48.00.

I may have to make a note of these guys. Let me know how their parts work out for you - I'm curious and want to upgrade brakes on some early XJ's myself (88/89 for now - the 87 is going to be pretty close to "frame-off" anyhow once I get to it!)

5-90

Yeah - that was one of the outfits I was thinking of - that's where we found rotors for early XJ's (and they will be added to my "XJ Parts of Interest" list that I'm constantly assembling and will put back online somewhere soon...)

Us Renix guys gotta stick together - there's too much out there for everyone else and not enough for us!

5-90

The pads from KVR are the carbon fiber ones.

Looks like this is what I will be getting.

SP Performance Slotted Rotors: 130.00
KVR Carbon Fiber Pads: 48.00

Well I'm not so sure what I'm going to order now for rotors. KVR also has slotted rotors for 103 bucks. You can have them Cadmium plated as well. Does the plating have any drawbacks?

I got lifetime warranty"titanium" pads from AutoZone..I like the NAPA severe duty carbon/metallic ones much better...next time I will wait for the NAPA pads if I have to.

Cadmium plated rotors..Cool...I'll bet the plating on the working surface won't last too long...but the rest of the rotor will resist rust...

Too bad there's not enough interest for an aftermarket to built direct fit multi piston calipers:(

I must thro this in. I bought new rotors and pads a while back, when I did this, I got pads from one place and rotors at an other. When I got the pads, they asked what type of rotor I was using and when I got the rotors, they asked me what type of pad I was going to use. From both places I was told that the type of metalic or non metalic pads used had to match a certen type of rotor.

First off, does this make sence, and second, if so, how does going to carbin fiber affect this?

Except for exotic racing systems, just about all the brake friction surfaces have been cast iron (even on composite rotors, which usually have a steel hub and a pressed-on friction ring.)

The only real variation I can think of offhand are ceramic rotors, which don't last very long and cost too damn much for general use...

5-90

Carbon

Not to persuade or dissuade the use of carbon fiber pads but here are a couple of things to know about them. I come from an aircraft background (6 years military, 14 years commercial) and we have been using carbon fiber brakes for a little over 10 years on the Airbus a320 and the Boeing 777. Carbon fiber brakes get hotter than other types of brakes although they dissipate the heat faster. We had brake fires early on until we learned to completely clean off all carbon dust between brake changes. The brakes are not as forgiving to impact damage as other types of brakes so have care using them on the trail. Otherwise the carbon fiber brakes are great especially considering that they removed 30 to 40% of the weight in the brake assemblies for us.:)

Performance Friction Carbon fiber - AZ

You can get Performance Friction Carbon fiber pads for your 89 at Auto Zone. I have a set with 60K miles on them that are still more than half original thickness.
Just recently bought another set for the new MJ. $38.

Back