• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove the Ford Hubs and rotors

Heep

NAXJA Forum User
I went to the junk yard and I got off the calipers but I cant seen to get off the hub and rotors. I got the waggy front end dissasembled before but is there a special tool required for it? A in depth breakdown would be nice. Thanks Also Ill be doing the spindle removal on the chevy is there a certain way to do that also??

Heep said:
I went to the junk yard and I got off the calipers but I cant seen to get off the hub and rotors. I got the waggy front end dissasembled before but is there a special tool required for it? A in depth breakdown would be nice. Thanks Also Ill be doing the spindle removal on the chevy is there a certain way to do that also??
removing the hubs/rotors willrequire the dana 44 socket tool. It's got 4 teeth on the rim. There are two of these "nuts" threaded onto the spindle along with a lock washer between them. remove these 3 pieces, and the hub/rotor should slide off with the bearing.
The spindles CAN be sticky. Remove the 5 or 6 bolts holding it to the knuckle, and tap on the side of it with a rubber or plastic mallet. You can also use a BFH along with a block of wood.
It's not a hard job at all.
Have fun.

Really getting to the spindle nuts are the hardest. If you haven't goten the inner part of the locking hub off there are possibly 2 snap rings that hold it on the most visible one is the one around the axle shaft (this one might be removed.) But there is a one that goes around the inside edge of the hub bore that is a real PITA to get out. if you are good with a pick and a small screwdriver it will come out. once those are out it is time ofr the socket. The lock washer between the two nuts can be a chore to get out also.

Yup, better set some extra time aside when you're out there.
hub.jpg

axle11.jpg

Sometimes bearings that are seized and wont cooperate as you may have planned it.

bluexj89 said:
Really getting to the spindle nuts are the hardest. If you haven't goten the inner part of the locking hub off there are possibly 2 snap rings that hold it on the most visible one is the one around the axle shaft (this one might be removed.) But there is a one that goes around the inside edge of the hub bore that is a real PITA to get out. if you are good with a pick and a small screwdriver it will come out. once those are out it is time ofr the socket. The lock washer between the two nuts can be a chore to get out also.
Yep- I forgot about that inner ring. Good call!

Back