• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C-clip or not

StevenJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Dana 35 that has been leaking oil into my brake drum on a 1989 XJ limited. I am pretty sure that it is a non c-clip axel but wanted to make sure before trying to pull it out. My non-factory service manual says nothing about removing c-clips before pulling the axel and it's supposed to cover years from 1984-1997. Nice! Also is there any tips or tricks I need to know to complete this job.

TIA
Steve.

look at the axle end.

If it is a c-clip there will not be a plate holding the axle on. Also, the bearings will have to be replaced bc every thing will have to be pressed on and off.

It should be a non c clip. There should be a hole in the flange
that gives access to un-bolt the plate that holds the axle on.

Once you have un-bolted the plate, grab the axle with your left
hand and pull, while hitting the right side of the flange with a hammer, and it should pop off.

Once its off, you will have to bring it to a machine shop to get the seal replaced. Most likely if the seal is gone, the bearing will be wasted also.

Back