• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA Modification - Grinder - More Flex!

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay, I understand that the main limiting factor with stock LCA's is that they rub...I've read before that you can grind a bit off them for a slight lift and get mroe flex. Anyway, I've got 3" of lift and thought I'd just grind them, my questions are A) How much and where should I grind? B) Is this safe, I'm not sure how much the people grind off it, and there's no way I'm going to make an unsafe rig.

I just can't afford aftermarket LCA's at the moment, and thought I'd just grind them, and get new LCA's down the road a bit (Thinking of bumping up to a 4.5" lift).

Also, how bout the track bar...Should I get a relocating kit or new bar...I've been suck because I don't flex enough, so I wanna make it flex.

okay, one more...

Rear end flex...I want more...I have the stock pack with an AAL (the shorty style) with stock shackles and a 1" block (pissed me off that the lift kit had a block, I HATE blocks!). What size shackle should I use to make it a little better and ditch the block, also, any recomendations?

That's it for now...
Sequoia

I don't know about acually grinding on the arms, however I can tell you how to improve flex of the stock arms. The problem is the spring mount on the axle. The stock arms hit this mount and limit droop by a couple inches. If you look at the arm, right after where it attaches to the axle, you'll be able to see where it has come in contact with the spring pad. All you need to do it cut or grind off the corner of that spring pad, so that the arm dosn't bind. If you look at it, it should make sence what you need to cut.

I don't have a pic but I could probably try to explain it again if you don't get it. :)

Isn't it that shock mounts that you can grind to get extra flex? The LCA's hit the shock mounts and limit droop. Grinding some of this away will give more available droop.

edit: already answered. I think I'm thinking of the same part as Slip Kid.

Spring pad, shock mount, same piece of metal :)

Do not grind the stock arms, it will weaken them, grind the lower mounts.

This old link may help, there are pictures on web page three of where the bind occurs, and where to grind.

http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp1.html

Flex the XJ up and check it out.

I agree with the rest, you need to trim the front mount not the arms them selves.

In the rear I assume you have a 2"aal (shorty) and a 1" block. I used to run the same set up at 3" and hated it (till I finally spit the blocks out on the trail). I would recommend getting rusty's 3.5" aal (long) for the rear and take out the other aal and use it when you want to go up to 4.5". It will flex better and should ride nicer and you are all set to add the shorty when you want to go higher. I would not recommend the short aal and longer shackle (I have done that also) and the ride is compromised and all the flex it putting added stress on only a few leaves in the pack.

Rear Shackle Tip

Here is an interesting piece of info I learned from a friend of mine. The stock leaf shackles off a 73-87 (and maybe others?) Chevy van are the exact same width as on an xj, but are about 1" longer. They probably aren't as good as some of the aftermarket greasable shckles, but hey, for $20 at a junk yard for an inch of lift, who's complaining? This is a great inexpensive way to pick up the sagging rear end w/o having to use blocks.
-Josh

Okay, I understand that the main limiting factor with stock LCA's is that they rub...I've read before that you can grind a bit off them for a slight lift and get mroe flex. Anyway, I've got 3" of lift and thought I'd just grind them, my questions are A) How much and where should I grind? B) Is this safe, I'm not sure how much the people grind off it, and there's no way I'm going to make an unsafe rig.

I just can't afford aftermarket LCA's at the moment, and thought I'd just grind them, and get new LCA's down the road a bit (Thinking of bumping up to a 4.5" lift).

Also, how bout the track bar...Should I get a relocating kit or new bar...I've been suck because I don't flex enough, so I wanna make it flex.

okay, one more...

Rear end flex...I want more...I have the stock pack with an AAL (the shorty style) with stock shackles and a 1" block (pissed me off that the lift kit had a block, I HATE blocks!). What size shackle should I use to make it a little better and ditch the block, also, any recomendations?

That's it for now...
Sequoia

Okay Geoff, i've got a DeWalt grinder, this should get you around 4" of lift in the front. Its about as safe as buying condoms from the 99 cent store ya dig. I mean they sell em, so they must work right?

I was thinking lets relocate your track bar to the trashcan. You'll get mad lift and flex by doing that mod.

For rear end flex just put on a Sir Mix A Lot tape........bidtches be flexin their rears to that my brotha!

i gorund a lot of material for my front lca mounts so my longer 18.5" lcas would clear

reviving, 7 years later, just trying to be funny... bored?

oops, nominated.

Last edited:
lol nice!

:roflmao:

If you guys keep this up I might have to bait more newbies into posting techno jeep.

Back