• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need New Tires!!!

Hawaiian Style

NAXJA Forum User
Asking for opinions on new tires for the wifes Jeep.

Goodyears are junk. Had a super expensive set of those already and they SUCKED. Lasted only 22k and they started blowing.

Bridgestones on it are shot after 30k.

Looking for some reasonable (AKA inexpensive) AT tires that will hold up better than the trash I've already put on it. 235 is about the biggest that will fit or I'd got to ProComps. Two sets of those on the other Jeeps and they've held up great. Looking to spend 100-135 per tire.

I received incredible mileage with BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA KO radials. I managed to get 90,000 miles on my first set which were 235s. Even more surprising is the fact that these tires aren't even mileage rated. They do ride stiffer than Michelins and they will cup on the edge if you don't rotate regularly, but they work really well in various conditions and since they're 5 ply they are pretty reliable out in the woods. Costco sells them for approximately $105 each out the door.

Erik
88 Comanche

BFG A/T's!

I've had them on 3 vehicles. You can't beat they're all around handling for the price. The only thing for me is that out of 4 sets of these tires, I've never gotten more than 35-40K miles out of them in normal, family SUV driving (no towing or heavy loads, either). Also, you can't beat Costco's price, which includes mounting and balancing. The new KO's are really nice.

BFG AT/KO's

Got mine at BJ's Wholesale, like a sams club for like $103 to $107 or so. That price included mounting, balancing, old tire disposal and full road hazard guarantee.
I bought the LT 235's. I think I have like 40K on them now and they still look new with very little tread wear. Used the road hazard warranty when I picked up a nail in the sidewall, they replaced the tire and I was in an out in under 20 min.
These tires look to be holding up better than the Pirelli scorpions and Dunlop AT's I have had on it, we'll see....

Did you run 235's without adding any lift? I have been told that the rear tires can rip off the rear fender flairs with 235 75 R 15's. I have a 01 Cherokee Sport with 225 75 R 15. The 225"s arn't available from Bf goodrich.:(

I know people who swear by the Yokohama Geolander. Cheap durable and pretty agressive apparently.

Cooper Discoverer LT. If those have finally been discontinued, Cooper Discoverer A/T.

In fact, the A/T might be better for you anyway (although I think the LT is the better tire) because the A/T has a 50,000 mile warranty.

According to the guys at the tire shop I use, Coopers and Pro Comps are identical (Firestone/Bridgestone sub brands)...but neither are inexpensive. Might look into Multi Mile if that variant is sold in your area...we use them on our fleet trucks...excellent life...and relatively inexpensive.

Take a good look at the tread wear and traction rating numbers. There is a strong push by tire companies to make high traction tires for safety's sake...the softer compounds do not last real long...

MudDawg said:
According to the guys at the tire shop I use, Coopers and Pro Comps are identical (Firestone/Bridgestone sub brands)...but neither are inexpensive.

I think Cooper makes ProComps, and also Pep Boys tires. But Cooper is an independent company, they are not part of Bridgestone-Firestone. And Cooper tires are proudly made in the Yoo Ess of Ay.

They are NOT expensive. 235/75s should run about 100 clams apiece.

Hawaiian Style said:
Asking for opinions on new tires for the wifes Jeep.

Goodyears are junk. Had a super expensive set of those already and they SUCKED. Lasted only 22k and they started blowing.

Bridgestones on it are shot after 30k.

Looking for some reasonable (AKA inexpensive) AT tires that will hold up better than the trash I've already put on it. 235 is about the biggest that will fit or I'd got to ProComps. Two sets of those on the other Jeeps and they've held up great. Looking to spend 100-135 per tire.

20,000 on one set what am I doing wrong I only get 10,000 tops one set only got me about 3,000

Back