• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tubing Bender?

Nope.

This seems to come up about once a month. Harbor Freight does not sell a tube bender -- they sell a pipe bender. The dies are different because tubing is measured by O.D. and pipe is measured by I.D. You can bend tube in a pipe bender, but it kinks and you get a lousy job.

I know more than one person who has used that pipe bender for bending tubing and here's how it works:

Pipe is measured inside diameter, so if you want to bend 1.5" tubing, take the 1.5" die, bend some 1.5" pipe and cut it lengthwise following the arch. Tack weld the inner length of pipe to the die. This will give your 1.5" pipe die a 1.5" diameter for use on tubing. It would be worth playing with. If the bends don't come out, you can always fill the tube with sand and bend it.

Steve

That machine is not designed to handle the force you need to bend large tube, a friend bought one and it broke and bent within 15 minutes:

I bought the JD2 model 3 with 1 die for 495.00, I have used it to bend teh shock hoops etc for teh mj aand soon the exo cage

XJ Nation...

Quick hijack of the thread,

I am about to order the jd2 model as well and am having what I guess is the same dilemma that everyone has when getting one... which die? I have a couple of immediate jobs for bumper brush guards but I want the most use out of this one die obviously. They ain't cheap!

Thanks

I bought the pro tools 105 same as a jd2 but heard that pro tools makes better quality dies that last longer.

I went with 2in tube die, 240degree or what ever like $560 shipped from rock buggy supply. Next time ill just get the 180 degree cheeper die.

Pro tools also makes dies that fit the JD2(different then the die for the 105 so make sure you order the right one), buy the die from protools even if you bought the JD2 bender.

Its also critical to polish the flat die and clean you tube so it does not gull your tube and cause premature ageing to your die.

I did 120, 220, 300 then 600grit sanding and rubed it with polish, I also use a rattle can of litium grease on the flat die before evry bend,

Ive only bent 9 bends since I got it all set up last weekend but no gulling and it works good.

Back