• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running 4g wire though firewall...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay, so I'm running 4g cable to the back of my cargo area (for a fuse box I'm mounting there...). Anyway, any suggestions for grommets and the like?

Thanks
Sequoia

In mine, there was an unused hole, plugged with a plastic thing, right by the other holes, up under the dash. It's way up behind the brake pedal. I had to pry the plastic plug out with a knife. I've run about 4 wires through this hole, and I just seal it with duct tape.

good luck, it looks like 4ga would fit

Most electrical supply houses and good hardware stores have a good supply of rubber grommets in varying sizes and thickness. The better the store the better the selection. I know they make them, just a matter of finding them.

RichP

Granted, they are different years, but maybe this will help... I ran mine through a hole in the firewall at the very top on the far passenger side. I then ran the wire under the dash, under the center console, under the passenger seat, through the door moldings and out at the cargo area molding. It works pretty well, you can see the wires in a few places (and of course, where it comes out in the cargo area) but all in all, it's seamless. I was worried about the firewall leaking - but I've had no trouble for nearly a year now - and I've driven through torrential rains more than once. Make sure the end of the wire is capped or it will annihilate the rubber grommet. Good luck!

I have run wires thru the hole just behind the valve cover.Pushed the seal away with a screw driver and started the wire in.
Used rope caulk to seal the hole.This stuff is like" play dough" only dosen,t harden.

You're still going to fuse the 4 gauge as close to your b+ source (alt., batt.), right?

I believe that if you don't, and the 4 gauge shorts out against something before the cargo area fuse box, there's nothing to cut the current except waiting for the wire to burn itself through :(

Mike

Oh I'm gonna fuse it alright! (I've had a direct battery to body short before..granted, I didn't catch it on fire only because I acted quickly and pulled the wire, burning the hell out of my hand in the process!)

Geoff did you ever figure out what you're doing for a grommet here? Or is this project still on the back burner?

Jeez, talking about pulling a thread out of the past.

I used some PCV valve grommet or something from the Help aisle at Kragen and then stepped up the cable size with tape to match the ID (had to wrap a little more, it fit well but wasn't very snug). After that I sealed it with ultra-black RTV.

ultra-black RTV.

why you gotta be so racist Geoff?

195270570_231046b242.jpg

I pulled mine in beside the line for the rear washer.

it was a good tight fit, and I just sealed the gap with caulk.

Where does that run?

Mine doesnt work anyways....

A good spot to get wires through the firewall is the hole for the hood latch release cable, I have a two-conductor 10AWG boat cable going through there, still using the stock grommet. I had to slice it lengthwise and wrap with electrical tape to get the new cable inside it though. I could probably fit a lot more wires if I removed the grommet and used silicone (or enlarged the hole slightly.) I plan to put another two 8AWG wires for some rear fogs and my OBA in shortly.

Back