• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering swap

batavus

NAXJA Forum User
I have 6" of lift with the stock steering. It's at the maximum (if not beyond) when it comes to angles. I'm getting a bit of bump stear, and it is overall a handful on the road.

So - I was looking into a replacement steering system. I've seen a kit for $700 that places 'adapters' on the D30 knuckles that gives enough offset to have a straight tie rod with the drag link mounting to the top of the 'adapter'. Thus instead of a Y stearing setup one ends up with something more along the lines of a YJ or CJ stearing setup.

Anyhow - just wanted to hear some suggestions from the board on what approach is best. Would knuckles off a grand cherokee be the way to go? Heim joints?

batavus said:
You're speaking of the tera flex D30 high steer knuckle, right?

http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/HighSteer.htm

I'm not seeing the prices, or I'm just missing it.

Go to the High steer section, if you scroll down to below the tie rod/drag links , they have a price of 485.95 for the knuckle and the links. I have seen the knuckle priced at another place for 299.

That would be your best solution with a D30 to correct your steering angles.

I am at 8 inches with a drop pitman on road it works just fine with no bump steer but on the trail it leaves a lot to be desired.

Back